Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need some serious advice, has to do with band politics somewhat

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JWC, Oct 16, 2000.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    My band is urging me to become more or less a "modern day bass player". They keep wanting me to follow bands like Papa Roach, UPO, Nickelback, and Collective Soul. Growing up on Zeppelin and Sabbath, you can see how that idea isn't too appealing to me. Is it necesary that I play with a modern day influenced sound to play modern music. I always thought that's what helped set us apart from other groups in the city. I mean, John Paul Jones surely wasn't influenced too much by rock musicians when he went to Led Zep. He was a jazz player primarily. I don't get it.

2. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Well---this is just MY opinion. Others may have different advice.

Don't do what others want you to do. Play the type of music that YOU want to play. That's why you learned to play in the first place, right?

If your current band can't accept you for the style that you play in, well then it's time to move on. Find your niche and stick with it---and don't let ANYONE ever tell you what you SHOULD be playing!

Good Luck!!!:)

3. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Is the problem that you don't play like they want you to, or that you listen to the "wrong" music? I tend to agree that if you're fitting the role that the band needs in a bassist, they shouldn't be pressuring you to listen to what they like. If they don't think you're playing the way that they hear the band, you have a different issue. I find it a bit ironic that they want you to be more modern, when so much of new music that I hear is a serious throwback to the era that you happen to listen to.

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    All the above but if you do decide to leave have a cunning plan. If your band is gigging then stay gigging with them. This gets you noticed and hopefully gets you the contacts to jump ship with. Also when they say do this do that say YES! and do what you please it will take a while for them to realise by which time youve gone.

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I could not agree with ONYX more!

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...yeah, Chris, we do this all the time at work-
    Say "Yes", think "No".

Too, I don't get this "Modern" schtick; Jimmy Blanton(from the '30s)sounds "Modern" to me(still). Riding the Root in an 1/8 note rhythm isn't "modern"(IMO)...not that I listen to a ton of "Modern" Rock(just what I hear on the radio during the a.m. commute).

BTW-
    I like your John Paul Jones' thought; here's a guy who took what R&B/Jazz background he had & made it work in a Hard Rock/Blues environment. Same goes for Flea...a lotta people think he invented Funk/slap(yeah...right); what he did was introduce this style to the masses that would never had heard it if not in the RHCP's stew of Rock/Funk/Rap.
    Maybe the others need to get with the program; stick to your guns...be cool, though.

7. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I say play whatever you feel like playing. If they can't handle that then it's their problem, and you should leave them behind to do what you do best with someone who appreciates it.

It does kind of hurt my feelings that Collective Soul was grouped with those other bands, but I can see where that comes from. But if I'm not mistaken the C.S. bass player was originally a drummer, which explains the highly simple bass lines for most of their albums. Of course I was into C.S. before I even picked up a bass, so I've grown to love their music, even though I know the lead singer writes nearly all of it, and that's why I'm quick to defend them.

Enough with my exclaiming how much I like Collective Soul. Now go play in a band that needs you.

-Nails

8. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Jim-its not entirely honest but its not blatently dishonest. I used to play for a singer songwriter who insisted that I marked the chords when I walked a certain song. I would play roots in the rehearsal and forget on the gig. He went to live up north and the last thing he said to me was 'it was better with the walking bass'. Mostly the only person who knows what works with the bass is the bassplayer hmmm maybe people should let us play the bass without a committee decision all the time.

9. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Tough call...I see this one from both sides. Firstly, the Band's "sound" is the whole Band's sound.There has to be agreement that "this" is our sound and then everybody needs to get on board.And if a modern bass tone is integral to that sound then so be it. BUT there's you. You should play whatever YOU want to play.If that means you can't get behind the agreed Band sound then you need to find another band.
    Of course,a musicians life isn't that simple. If your current band gigs a lot and you have to start from scratch again forming another band you may find a compromise is in order. If working is more important than bass tone then falling in line might be needed.I know a great jazz player who plays mosly weddings because that's where the money is.
    I know he doesn't dig polkas.

10. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    You have your influences. You tend to play in a certain style.
    You want your playing to be fun and interesting for yourself and the band.
    It's hard to simply root note it or mirror a guitarist's playing if you're hearing cool bass lines in your head.
    I say keep on channeling your inner Geezer Butler. Either your current band accepts you as the player you are or find another band that will.

KingKrabb likes this.
  11. "Papa Roach, UPO, Nickelback, and Collective Soul" = modern? Then I realized two things: OP is banned, Thread started on Oct 16, 2000.

Almost 14 years later.... welp, good advice better late than never.

12. KingKrabb

KingKrabb

May 9, 2014
    Puerto Rico
    Holy dinosaur thread, Batman!

tangentmusic likes this.
  13. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Just noticed that too.
    I guess those bands are still Modern to me... Yikes!
    This thread can still be timely though. To anyone who cares that is...

14. KingKrabb

KingKrabb

May 9, 2014
    Puerto Rico
    ^ That is actually true. Good advice is timeless.

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

OP was banned 9 years ago lol

16. Those bands are honestly over a decade past their prime.....

17. oh snap....just caught the date...wow!!

18. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    What's with the 2000 thread bumps?

Anyway, by referencing Nickelback, their entire complaint is rendered invalid. You should fire all of them.

19. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    This is all very simple. If they are insisting you do music you don't want to do and they will not accept your version of the bass lines, leave.