need some serious advice, please read...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thetaurus, Jan 11, 2003.

1. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA i thought that i've just been really impulsive about gear lately (especially amps), but last night i realized i'm just not happy with the tone i've got. this is going to be long, so please bear with me...i've been thinking about it all last night and today.

to start off...i play mostly rock, with a pick (mostly). i use an mia jazz (natural/maple), svp pro, qsc rmx 850(bridged into 4 ohms), and a peavey 8x10.

so here's the deal. i've been having a real hard time lately, getting the tone that i want from my current setup. before the svp/qsc, i had a hartke 3500, that i had for years and only ever gave me 1 problem. while in the studio i used a peavey firebass 700, but that's it. ( on "breathe on your own time for an example)
    so, back to the hartke, which i toured with and everything, and i was satisfied with the tone, but then i wanted something more powerful, and with better tone. so...on the to the svp/qsc.

so i got a used svp and a qsc rmx 850. i love the tone at low volumes, but at high volumes, it gets real dirty (way too dirty), and i can't get the sound i want. the tubes are stock and it is about 4 and a half years old. i do realize if i keep it that i need to retube it. so when i set it up, i usually end up turning the bass knob way up (around 2 or 3 o'clock, sometimes more). then on the eq, i push the lows and the low mids. so, i think i'm sucking up too much power with lows, that's why it's distorting so much. but that's the only way to get close to the sound i like, but then it distorts. (on a side note, at practice the other day, i used my amp through an avatar 4x10, and couldn't get the low end i was after). i'm not after a HUGE, rediculous, bottom end, but something very sufficient.

so...last week i'm at this show. the only pa was for vocals. the bass players in two bands shared a bass rig. it was a fender bassman 400 (ss), through an ampeg 610hlf. then one of the other bands used a mesa 400 through an ampeg 8x10. the fender setup completely blew away the other setup. now i'm sure this had to do with the way they eq'ed everything. then last night at another show where the only pa was for vocals, the one bass player had an ampeg svt 3 pro through an ampeg 8x10, and the other had a mesa 400, through a mesa 2x10/1x15. the ampeg setup was nothing. you could hardly hear it, let alone feel it. and that was from all over the room. now...the mesa setup on the other hand totally crushed. it was amazing.

so now i'm thinking that maybe an all ten's setup isn't for me, and that maybe using a 1x15 with a 2x10 or 2x12 would help. that way i would get more natural low end, and not have to use so much on my preamp. but the question is, will i lose alot of power, going with a different cabinet setup like this? many (round-about) ss watts do i need to compare to 200 tube watts? i was always under the impression that you MUST have an 8x10 if you play rock. then last night this guy plays a 2x10/1x15 and it totally killed! so...should i give up the 8x10 for a different cabinet setup? i can afford to do it, but i can't afford both, it's gotta be one or the other. the preamp problem. the svp is the first piece of ampeg gear i've owned. i was going to get an svt 3 pro at one point, but i couldn't afford it at the time. then i realized that i wasn't crazy about the sound of it (at least not in the short time i had with it in the store). i have a sansamp bddi (which i like, but haven't really used because it's a pedal, and i don't like having to worry about pedals), and i was thinking that if i a/b that with my svp (i know the bddi can't drive the power amp to it's fullest power, but just for some comparison) and i like the bddi better, that i might be better off just getting an rbi, then later on upgrading the power amp.

so if i do all this, i'd end up with either a 2x10 or 2x12 with a 1x15, qsc power amp, and either an svp pro or rbi. as opposed to an svp, qsc, and peavey 8x10.

for those of you that read all of this (thank you, i know it was long and probably pretty boring), what do you think would be the best route? like i said, i don't think i'm as impulsive as i thought, just having a hard time figuring out how to get the sound i want out of the right gear. i look forward to your suggestions! thanks alot!

i just want a good, clear, cutting, strong, thick bass tone that i can do everything from play solid underneath, and then play real "notey" lines and some chord-ish stuff.
  2. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    i forgot to add that i play in a REALLY LOUD rock band and i have to compete with a LOUD drummer, and two LOUD halfstacks, without the help of a pa.
  3. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    GAS :D :D :D

I have a 2x10 and a 1x15 with a pre and a amp. It works great for me
  4. You just took about 900 words to describe your problem. I'll give you a three-letter solution.

5. Oh, well in that case you better get one of those other things called a.....Nah, still SVT!
  6. If you want exceptionally clear sound at really high sound pressure levels I think bi-amping is the way to go. I bi-amp a Crest V1100 through a 2x10 and a 2x15 cab and believe me, it's clear and very loud.
  7. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    This is a perfect example of being told what to like. If Ampeg 8x10 isn't your sound, that's fine. Dont be pushed into liking em just because lots of other people do.

I've just recently gone back to a 15" after years of running 6 x 10s. I find that a 15 with 2 GOOD 10's gives heaps of those lows you're after and the 2x10's give it some punch and clarity. For really loud gigs, I use the 15 with a 4x10. Similar sound but louder.

For huge really really loud mega sized gigs, I use 2x15's, the 4x10, and the 2x10. I need 2 amps to run em all but it's loud and clean.

But regardless of which configuration I use, the 15's are always there for their nice bottom end. They seem to throw it better too, which is why the rigs with 15's sounded better out front at those gigs which had vocal PA's.

As for the question about amp power, I send the same amount of watts to the 15 as to the 2x10. I think it would be more of an issue if you were using an 18" speaker. Have you thought about an 18? They're not real common here in Aust, neither are 2x12's so someone else is gonna have to advise you on those.
  8. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i just retubed my svp-pro 3 (coutesy of lord valve) and run it through a QSC power amp. i have very warm fat SVT sounding rig. it sounds like you could definitely use a retube and possibly a larger poweramp. matbe adding a cab would help out your peavey with low end too...
  9. I do not think there is any one easy solution to your problem.

Like you, I play in a loud rock band. The guitar player uses 2 100 watt marshall heads, each with a 1/2 stack.

Like Petebass, I run ALOT of cabs, and use 2 power amps.

My side of stage gets rack system with 1000 watt output going to 1X18 linked to 1X15, and a 4X10.

The line out of the poweramp feeds a Carvin R1000 on the other side of the stage. That setup also feeds a 1X18, 1X15, and 4X10's.

I never have to open her up all the way. Each side is usually run at 1/2 to 2/3. But it is nice to have the headroom and be able to compete with the guitar, drums and keys without pushing hard or clipping.
  10. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    yeah...see...i don't want to have a HUGE setup with cabinets all over the place. right now i'm thinking about upgrading to the rmx 1540, and running that bridged into one of the following setups:

ampeg svt 6x10hlf

so i'm not sure yet...what do you guys think? this would be opposed to using a peavey 8x10.