1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need some serious help for jazz band.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by xArcticMonkeyx, Sep 17, 2008.

1. xArcticMonkeyx

xArcticMonkeyx

Feb 24, 2008
    So, I really want to join my school's jazz band. In order to join, I need to audition, playing a short section of a piece. The problem is that I cannot read sheet music. So, my question is how can I translate sheet music into tabs???

I know most of you would say to just go learn to read music, but I only have two weeks to practice. I'm certain I could easily have a successful audition if I could get a tab.:help:

2. Mingus

Mingus

Aug 23, 2007
    Miami
    2 weeks? I'd try my damned hardest to learn as much I could in that time. Even if you got in without learning to read, whats the point? You're gonna have to read afterward anyways. I say you learn as much as you can now then explain your situation to the band director there. You can keep learning without being in the jazz band. Try again later if it doesn't work out.

3. xArcticMonkeyx

xArcticMonkeyx

Feb 24, 2008
    I was thinking the same thing...

Ah it just sucks though... really got my hopes up :/ Perhaps next year...

4. Mingus

Mingus

Aug 23, 2007
    Miami
    Doesn't hurt to try. Try as hard as you can for this year. It can only help even if you don't make it.

5. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    Reading isn't that bad...if you can read at all that might be all they are looking for...spend the next two weeks practicing reading, see what happens.

You would need to learn to read to translate it into tabs anyway.

6. I would ask for a copy of the music score sheets. If you are reading off a chord sheet, you may be able to swing it (no pun intended).

7. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    dude, just learn to read. Tabs are more of a hindrance than a help.

8. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    I'll skip the "learn to read" lecture....

http://www.bassmasta.net/Jazz/

I would suggest listening to which ever tune you choose. No tab will give you that.