1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need some suggestions on a new small rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr. Soul, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Mr. Soul

Mr. Soul

Jan 31, 2007
    Hey all. I'm playing in a good band now and we're doing covers and originals (Everything from U2 to James gang to Hendrix to Rush) and we play a variety of venues and I'm getting tired of bringing out my big rig (Mesa 400+ and Amperg 412HE), and I'm thinking of getting somethin lighter and more flexible.

My first thought is either a POD XT pro or the Live into a power amp of some type and a 2x12 or 2x10.

My woman is a little freaked by the cost of second rig so that needs to be a factor as well.

Anything else to check out?

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Plenty of stuff to check out.

Markbass
    Aguilar

3. Accugroove Tri112L

A little pricey, but worth it.

4. What I use, and it's light, and the sound has never let me down.

Bass>Art Tube MP V3 (w/5751)>Yammaha BBT500H>LDS 2-way 3x8

As long as I have PA support, it works great. The BBT500H is a little "hissy" on the speaker out, but in a live band situation, I've never had a problem. It weighs 50lbs total and cost me $700-$800, for the V3, BTT500H and a used 2-way LDS 3x8.

I have an old 1965 portaflex and other stuff studio work. But for light live, this works for me.

Lots of other great stuff mentioned on this thread already too.

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    My 400+ went away and was replaced by a MB LMII. I use it with the same cabs, (Schroeder 1212, Bergantino HT115 either alone or together) and its still a 'small' rig!

I haven't looked back in regret once since making the move.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike TTRPG enthusiast, Happy, Joyous, & Free. Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well, no matter what head you buy it's going to be smaller and less massive :smug:

there are about a zillion great 300 - 600 watt heads out there that all deserve consideration, and if you are not afraid, the used market can offer fantastic deals especially on items that once were hot, but now are not the latest and greatest.

Ditto for cabs, although used cabs are generally best bought locally so you can try them and not pay shipping. And of course there are a ton of great small cabs. most of it boils down to what you like the sound of and what you can afford (and what price tag won't get you killed or in divorce court).

If it were me, i would probably get the smaller cab first as that can save you a ton of room in your car and provide a much less awkward loadin.

7. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I just picked up a DR Bass RX310.It's small,about 52 lbs and costs about $400.It's punchy as heck,goes low and gets loud.Wonderful sounding cabinet.It can do about any of the gigs I do and we get pretty loud.Then you just need a head.

8. my rig. :D Ashdown MK500 + Acme Low B2

9. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    A Whappo Jr (2x12) is incredible for the size, but a second for the Tri112L. You can crank that bad boy and it'll take lotsa juice.

10. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Depends on quite how small/light do you want to go.

For true small & light-take a glimpse down @ the DB side of the forums. Total rigs that weigh under 25 pounds yet put out 300+ watts. I'm a doubler, and my next rig total weight will be 30 pounds or less. Hopefully right around 20ish pounds.

I recommend Avatar Cabs if you're looking for a 2X12 or 2X10. Great price/value. I haven't heard the Neo 2X12, but i own an older 2X12 from them that i love.

A Stewart World Poweramp would be more light weight coupled with a preamp of your choice.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021