Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need some suggestions....re: combo amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, Jul 21, 2005.

1. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    ok, so i just upgraded from my 3 pro, to a 400+.

i was going to keep the 3 pro just as a back up/home practice amp, but i realized if i did this, i would have to get another cab for my house. so im thinking about selling the head to a friend, and buying a combo amp. just not sure what kind i should get.

i usually dont pay combos any mind because ive only owned one over the years and it was a hartke p.o.s.

so i guess what im asking is if i sell my 3 pro, what kind of combo should i look at?

atleast 2-300 watts
    15 or 2x10 or both
    easily portable
    something i can use as a back up in a live gig setting and have no problems finding power.
    like to saty in the mesag/ampeg family, but will take other suggestions
    offcourse, looking for something on wheels.
    i'd like it to be tube, but i will take a tube pre amp.

please list me some suggestions....

thanks.

2. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Mesa Buster, maybe? They're "200 watts" (6x 6L6, so actually a bit less) and they're available in 2x10 and 1x15 combos.

BTW, how's the 400+? :)

3. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    dont know yet, it is coming today.

was supposed to be here yesterday but they decided to do so today.

4. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Ah boo. :spit: It's worth the wait, though.

I'm actually going to check one out today... We'll see how that goes. ;)

5. I'm not sure the Buster will fit the "easily portable" category, but I've wanted one for a while.

Mike

6. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    im siked on practice tonight bcause of the 400+. i find the better my equipment gets, the better i play. i know that sounds stupid but thats how it seems.

7. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i wanna check out a ampeg b-15r even thought its 100 watts, its tube, so it should be kosher.

8. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Yeah, I get that. "2-300 watts tube power" doesn't exactly go hand-in-hand with "lightweight combo". If you'll look at this auction, you'll notice that there is a telescoping handle and rear wheels, as well as some side handles. It's still heavy (again, it's a tube amp) but it looks pretty manageable.

9. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    I just picked up a GK backline 210 300w with 210's. I love the amp and the overdrive is bad. Its not to big but you must carry it 65lbs i think...no casters.It is a sweet combo with good power and will take a extention cab. Some here dis backline... but like alot of stuff here if you dont play a sadowsky thru a state of art Ampeg amp that costs as much a car and big as one your not s*$t.

10. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    There's always the Mesa Walkabout Scout combo at 300 watts. Biggest sounding 1-12 i've heard and 50 lbs. Price may be a bit high for you though.

11. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    when i say easily portable, weight isnt the feature to me that matters, im a big dude, i can handle weight. i just dont want something thats going to take up a lot of room in my room, and or in myc ar.

12. Yeah, I was in contact with 3 sellers for a few days when my situation changed. These can be had for a decent price if you take a little time to look ($6-700 ain't bad in my book). The weight is VERY subjective (as the thread starter has indicated). When I think easily portable, 100+ lbs. isn't in the cards. It's just a matter of personal definition.

Mike