Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need some suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by corrosiontrav, Jan 23, 2006.

1. corrosiontrav

corrosiontrav

Sep 9, 2005
    I need a new amp rig. portable and cost effective are key. I mainly play j-basses, and need somehting for small to large clubs. preferable for under grand.

rack systems are kind of intriguing, but I need it all under 1000.

2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Need more info.... stuff like:

- What kind of music do you play?
    - How loud is your band?
    - Do you typically have PA support? Or do you "go it alone" with your rig?
    - What type of sound? Sharp, articulate.... or, thump?
    - And, last but not least.... I assume you mean 1000 US dollars?

Toss that stuff out, and responses will come flooding in.....

3. corrosiontrav

corrosiontrav

Sep 9, 2005
    sorry,

I mainly play southern rock type stuff. the 2 guitar players I play with have half-stacks that they play with, I can use a PA do the heavy lifting, but I like a good amount of stage volume. I like a good solid round tone with some grit. My bass heros are/were Rex Brown (Down, Pantera), Mike Dean (Corrosion of Conformity), and Barry Oakley (ABB). and the 1000 is dollars.

4. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    My first instinct is to suggest one of the small-box Schroeders, for portability and efficiency.... but unless you find one used at a discount, that won't leave much left over for a head (unless you have one you're using, and it can be pressed into service for a little while longer).

The Ashdown/Avatar deal at www.avatarspeakers.com is another solid option, particularly the B212....

5. corrosiontrav

corrosiontrav

Sep 9, 2005
    yeah I have nothing right now.

I was thinking about an ampeg V-4B head, I love tube but I don't htink i need all 300 watts of the Classic or Pro-II.

6. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Hmmm.... there goes the $1000 budget, eh? :smug:

If your heart is set on tubes, you could probably grab a Traynor YBA200 for about $650, and have enough left for an Avatar or similar cab..... new prices, of course. If you find good used stuff, your money will go farther.

Or perhaps a solid-state head for less $$$, and add a SABDDI to emulate the tube grit.....

7. corrosiontrav

corrosiontrav

Sep 9, 2005
    I've had some solid state stuff in the past. I'm a wanna be guitar player and my band is putting back on bass as I am a bass player who CAN play guitar, not one who should play guitar. I've had Eden stuff in past and the only Eden I had that I couldn't get along with was a Metro that I had, but I had a WT series that I loved. And a Mesa 400+ that was great as well. But everytime I've fired up an Ampeg I fall in love. Anywho, used is no issue, most of the stuff I've owned has been used.

Edit: what about Ashdown stuff?

8. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Anybody know how much those two Ashdown heads on the avatar page cost? It says call for a quote, but i'm lazy. :D

9. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    Avatar had better prices on them than anybody when they did post the prices. I think the mag 300 was about $260.00 and the mag 600 was about $400.00. If you bought a cab the head shipped free. That is what it was a couple of months ago. He may not show prices now because of some kind of manufacturer rule about MAP or minimum advertised price. I know when I was looking He was the cheapest around

Then my local genz benz dealer had a blowout and I picked up a genz gbe400 and 2X12 neo cab instead.

10. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    the mag 300 is $250. If you buy a cab and amp from them you don't have to pay the amps shipping charge

11. basste

basste

Oct 8, 2003
    France
    what about a GK combo ? (700RBII )
    good sound and power. Don't know the price, on your side of the atlantic ocean ;)