Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Some Suggestions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dox, Aug 18, 2000.

1. Dox

Dox

Aug 17, 2000
    Millville, New Jersey
    I want to get a new bass. I basically have a beginner Epiphone. It doesn't havea good sound when I try to slap (which I am still learning). Also after a month or two dead spots seem to appear on random frets each time. My guess is teh strings are getting too dirty. Some I have some questions.

I wanna get a 5-string bass cause a lot of the bands I like play five strings. The ideal bass in my mind right now would be a baby blue 5-string Fender American Deluxe Jazz bass. The chances of me finding it are hard. I don't want to order it cause I want to play it first. But I wanna know how are most Fender 5-strings? Another question is which are a good 5-string with a nice thick sound. My main goal is to get a bass that has a thick dreaery sound to it. I wanna try and match the sound of Terence "Geezer" Butler of Black Sabbath and G//Z/R. I know he uses a french made Viagria (sp?)... Like the old guy pill.... So any suggestions on a Black Sabbath sounding bass?

2. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I see you're playing through a "19 Watt Epiphone Amp"...I might suggest two things for an immediate change of sound: new strings and a beefier amp.

There are dozens of threads here on 5 string basses. Many will say that "Fender has floppy B strings", but I'll tell you my MIM Jazz Deluxe 5 has one of the tightest, warmest B's around.

-GM

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
  4. Dox

Dox

Aug 17, 2000
    Millville, New Jersey
    Thanks for the link and advice. I don't feel I need a bigger amp yet. When I play my amp now it really never goes above 4 on the volume so I don't need one yet. And I am still going through the process of trying out differant strings to see what I like and its that time again to go to the store and get some. Anyideas on some strings i should try?

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    You are welcome

Theres another 5 post by Trent have a look if you want

Strings Rotosounds or Elites but I 'm a Brit and they both come from here hurrah!

6. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Dox,
    I agree you should try some different strings and a bigger amp. I use Dean Markley Blue Steel strings (or I did use them) on my old Epiphone. I was ready to upgrade too and I first upgraded my 15 watt amp. While 4 may seem pretty loud to you when you're practicing, wait till you get in a band and your sound needs to cut through at least one guitar and drums. I got a new carvin 160 watt amp, and I have it on 7 with my band. I do now have a new bass, but those extra 150 watts of power make a world of difference in the sound of your epiphone.

Dirk

7. ToNe45

ToNe45

Apr 23, 2000
    i love my fender and constantly play it. i have the deluxe V and it is a very nice sounding bass. However, if u are looking for that DEEP tone, u are gonna have to upgrad that amp eventually. if u are specifically looking for that deep sound (as in black sabboth), i dont think fender is ur best bet. i love mine for the variety of tones and for the feel, it does not however have a growling low end. as far as 5 strings, i would look into the upper scale ibanez SG's (but that is to fill that deep sound u are looking for). I would also try the blue steel strings to fit ur needs.

8. Dox

Dox

Aug 17, 2000
    Millville, New Jersey
    What guages would you suggest for the Dean Markley Blue Steel strings?