Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need some tattoo help please - urgent.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I finally got the tattoo I've been carrying around in my wallet for three months inkied into my wrist. Didn't plan it, it just kinda happened cuz I was passing by an artist I trusts place after dinner tonight and she just happened to be there. It was as spontaneous as something like this could be after thinking about it for months.

Anyhow - even though I have 2 other tattoos, my memory sucks and I completely forgot how I took care of them. She gave me the care sheet but I didn't read it till I just got home now. It says to wash it off after about 4 or 5 hrs, cover it with A&D ointment, and rebandage it with saran wrap. I don't remember doing that with my other ones, but I trust her. Only problem is, I didnt' buy any any A&D ointment, it's 12:30AM, I don't know where there's an open pharmacy and I don't feel like going out hunting one down. If I have to I will cuz I want this thing to heal nicely - it's on my writs.

My question - can I wash it, douse it in vitamin E oil, cover it with saran wrap, and deal with the proper maintenance procedures tomorrow? I have Vitamin E oil, which is basically safflower oil and vitaming E sitting in front of me. It would be soooo convenient. Lemme know ASAP cause if i gotta hit the road I want to do it now. Thanks.

Will post pics when the swelling goes down. I hate the way puffy tattoos look.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    AFAIK, it would be ok to get the ointment in the AM, just leaving the bandage on all night.

someone correct me if I'm wrong.

3. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    That's a new one to me "AFAIK"? What's that mean?

If I don't hear from anyone else about the vitamin E oil, I may just leave it - but I really want to treat this one well as it's on my wrist. And I wouldn't mind washing it actually becaue it's lookin pretty bloody.

Thanks too.

4. Joe,
    LEAVE THE BANDAGE ON OVERNIGHT, wash it with a mild soap and water in the AM, and use a non scented lotion, NO VITAMIN E creams.
    Use Lubriderm Unscented if you have it in the US,(I'm not sure if you have it in the US) or any other good quality unscented cream, no perfumes and not a Vitamin E cream.
    ( I have 2 half sleeves and lots on my chest, so I've had a bit of work done myself )
    Keep it from getting very wet for at least a week, and you should be just fine.

5. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Just to be sure here - the tattoo was done about 10 PM. I haven't done anything since she wrapped it up. It's totally cool for me to leave wrapped until around 10am tomorrow and then clean up the blood and stuff? This thing that I just searched for says a whole lotta crap I never heard before - and seems to cut against the grain of what I HAVE heard.

http://www.tribal-celtic-tattoo.com/care.htm

6. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    This is stupid. In the time i'm wasting writing here and searching on the internet, I can just go find an open drug store. I'd have to do it as soon as I got up tomorrow anyhow, and blah, blah, blah...

My apologies for bothering your guys. Hey - I wasn't a whoos about the tattoo. I barely winced at all. I think I'm getting better at this. Dare I say I may have even liked it a bit??? Something different I think about a chick doing it. I'm used to women causing me pain I guess.

7. Leave it until the AM, then wash it up.....

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, it would be no problem. worked for me anyway.

I learned AFAIK at Talkbass too. ;)

9. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Done deal - and now I know where the nearest all night walgreens is. I actually didn't want to wait till the morning cuz I want to unwrap it and see it. Me thinks it's real cool. Then again, me thinks anyone who has any tattoo must think it's real cool, unless they're stupid and like to put things that don't look real cool permanently on their bodies. It's bass clef oriented, and stolen (but slightly amended) from an avatar off of our very own website. :) I love thefeeling after you just get a new tattoo. Almost the same as the feeling when you get a new Bongo.

10. jade

jade

Mar 8, 2002
    YYC
    i'm no help, but..

POST PICS!

11. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Gonna do that as soon as it looks like a tattoo as opposed to a branding. It's small, all black - a little wrist thing, but something I needed.

12. Phe

Phe

May 30, 2005
    Oulu, Finland
    The bandage isn't necessary after four hours. Just put on some Pebanten or similar creamy-stuff nice thick layer like five times a day for a few weeks.

These are advices you'd get in Finland. Different situation in USA, I guess.

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I would never rebandage a tattoo after a few hours after getting it.After the skin closes it needs air. Pics required!.

14. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    Different ink manufacturers give different after care instructions. I would just use the A&D which you can get in any Wal Mart in the baby section.

15. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    You are supposed to take the bandage off after 4-5 hours, wash it, pat it dry and not rebandage it. Then just put on unscented lotion a couple times a day, You don't wanna get it wet and you don't wanna put any fancy stuff on it that is going to casue it to heal faster. You want it to heal at a natural pace.

16. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    pronounced Afayek

17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    My understanding is to not put too much of nay kind of lotion on, just enough to keep the skin moisturized. Anything more and you can actually draw some more ink out than what natrually leaves in the few hours before it heals.

I was also told to avoid petroleum based products as they could cause zits and potential scars.

18. I may be drunk on a sunday night, but hey I totalled my car yesterday so...
    (my friend could have died, we were very lucky things went how they did and I only got whiplash and her a hurt knee and elbow and no one else was involved)

But this is what I know to do:
    don't rebandage it or use vasoline, they trap the moisture in. any moisterizer with water as one of the first four ingredients is good to use. Don't let it dry out, don't scratch it. but if the other wrist starts to ictch like they sometimes do then yhou can scratch that one. I need more money before I can get my next two. One we rare going to get together. three of us as from kung fu are getting a tattoo together my other one is a big tattoo on my back. we are going to have it done at the same time, same place if we can find a good place we all have free, need ot see what my artist is planning for my back (he knows what I want but I haven't seen what he has been drawing)

yeah I think you can tell I am alittle drunk

and nick is right, dont' put to much on, keep it moist, rub it is, make sure it is not globbed on and slimey

19. i have a back tatto of a out line of a bass clef. the diffent things takken from daili art worrk. a rose on my elbow a tree with a melting clock on it on the indies of my arm.. and the flameing girgraft(sp?) on my forearm.

on my back and on my elbow i had trouble if u use to much a&d on it or sweet alot u can get like smalll infections cause it can clog u pours. its better to wait and put on thin amounts.

never use creams or oils. is wat my tatto artist told me . he just give me some a&d. and told me to cover it in sun light and to let the air get to it.