Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need some thoughts on a 2nd bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KB, Nov 25, 2002.

1. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    My main bass in a '82 G&L L2000 that I truely love and I have had many basses come and go as 2nd basses, but have never found what I am looking for.
    I want something that is a little different, but not radically different. I like nice growly tone and good punch. I am looking in the $800 or less range (but I also need to sell my Lakland 44-02 first {it just isn't my thing...too clean for me})
    here are my front runners for possible alternate basses:

1. Fender Roscoe Beck - I have never owned a 5 string, but this one seems to call me (and could offer the variety I am looking for). I'm not really a Fender person, but this one is kind of unique. Seems to get good reviews and can be picked up used for $750-$800

2. MIJ Fender Jazz '75 reissue - more around the $500 range on the used market, easily upgradable. Nice ash body. I would probably add a J-retro (another $250 on the cost). But again, I've never really been a fender type of person. I'm not as big of fan of the jazz body or controls. Would probably get one with rosewood neck.

3. G&L JB-2 - ash body, good reviews, but too new on the market so used ones are hard to find (almost impossible) and new ones run around $900 (kind of high for me). I am fairly sure I would like the feel.

I play a wide range of music (mostly rock based, but with basslines up front in the mix and carrying melody sometimes) mostly fingerstyle with some tap playing. Not much slap, but every now and then the mood strikes. I typically have had active basses in the past, but maybe a passive is the option for me. This is kind of open ended, but the 3 basses above are my front runners. Check my profile for other basses I have owned (none of which I want back)

Let me know your thoughts or ideas.

-KB

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I hear people say that the Roscoe Beck is one of the best passive 5s out there. I can't comment, but I hear it's just really bitchin' cool.

But, for a rock based gig, you just don't get more rock that a G&L. They have CRAZY output, and more tones that you can shake a stick at. I'd save a bit more, and surf Ebay and bassgear.com for a good one. I'd reccomend an G-2000 or 2500, depending on what you're after.

That's just me though.

How can you say no to this?!

[​IMG]

3. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I have already owned two G&L L2000s at the same time and I never played the 2nd one because it was too close to the same.

My music is rock based, but also very eclectic (similar to Frank Zappa and Ween), plus i am about to join a jazz/funk/disco band as a 2nd band.

My '82 L2000 is staying with me for life, but I just gotta find that "right" 2nd bass. I am leaning towards the Roscoe Beck, but I am still unsure at this point.

-KB

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hu...well, owning a G&L already, I'd say go for the Roscoe Beck. Pretty unique Fender, and I hear it's just slammin.

5. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I have had someone offer me a mint 1979 Fender Jazz (sunburst on Swamp ash w/ rosewood board) with all the covers, case, etc. for $1000

do you think that is a good deal? It seems kind of high, but I am not completely up on vintage Fenders (as said before I have never been a real fender fan).

I am still leaning towards the RB5, but I just want to make sure I am not passing up a great deal.

-KB

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Have you given any thought to the Brad Houser Reverend 5 string?

I've played Dave Siff's Reverends, and they are amazing basses.

7. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Yeah, I have thought about the Brad Houser too. They are a little more rare in the used market, plus I am not sure about the sharper edges, no tummy cut, and the general retro-look of them.
    Don't know really how the Brad Houser compares to the RB5, in the TB archives there seems to be mixed opinions, but most people lean towards the RB5.

The 5 string world is just new to me as I am typically a 4 string player. If I decide to go 5 string I want good string spacing and comfortable feel.

I am also thinking that $1000 for a 79 jazz is a little high, so I may pass on that deal (any thoughts on that?)

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    at the risk of sounding brand loyal...what about a warwick?

i've played quite a few l2000's lately and find they both have similar growly, low middy sounds, but the warwick has a more "complex" tone. plays different, looks different, sounds different enough...

maybe a corvette or fortress? you can pick those up pretty cheaply.

or a P bass? ;)

9. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Or you could go with the ORIGINAL warwick design, :) and get a Spector. I just picked up a 1990 USA model NS-2 with beautiful quilted maple sides, and an oil finish in near mint condition.....absolutely zero fret wear, with OHSC for about $900. I am madly in love with this bass, and will use the case for a roof to live under before I will ever consider selling it. I just got it Saturday, and used it most of the night on our gig, my stingray 5 felt like strapping on a bus after some time on the spector.

10. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

oh, you mean this?

[​IMG]

warwick streamers and spectors look about as similar as a P bass and a stingray...the basic shape is there but the curves are different. not to mention they play and sound totally different. but that's a darn good thing.......

...considering i can't stand spectors :p

[/thread hijack]

11. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    I'm not a fan of either Warwick or Spector (- but spector did license the body shape to warwick I believe...)

I'm not a fender person either...

How about a lakland skyline or a korean MTD?

12. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I've played a couple of warwicks and spectors and I wasn't really fond of the spectors (I played a czech one - fingerboard too flat and didn't like the painted neck), and the warwicks I liked were the streamer stage I and II which are out of my price range.

Don't really want a p-bass as the L2000 already does that fairly well. and I currently own (and am trying to sell) a Lakland Skyline 4402.

I have bid on a RB5 on ebay, so I'll just have to see where to go from here.

Thanks for the adivce though

-KB

13. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Have you looked at a Warwick Thumb Bolt On? Sounds like what your looking for, you can get them used on ebay for your price range. Thats were I got mine, and I couldnt be happier.

14. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    NOPE

warwick and spector both got the shape from Ned Steinberger.

15. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Thumb bolt-ons are nice and have good sound, but they have too much neck dive for me. I need something that stays in place because of all the finger tapping I do.

-KB

16. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    If I had $800 to drop on a bass right now, it would be a Fender RB5. They are very cool.

17. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i totally agree. that's why i recommended the other bolt on warwicks :)

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Time to get my Hijack on:

Spectors...what the heck is up with that stone aged bridge? Seems like intonation would be a nightmare.

/HiJack.

19. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    word