Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Some Thoughts on Pickup Options

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by HiFi, Jul 23, 2004.

1. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    How do these two compare?

I'm thinking of going two directions. One would be a Mighty Mite MM style pickup, while the other would be MIM Jazz pickups (already in my possession). I am trying to go cheap but am considering a Seymour Duncan MM pickup over the Mighty Mite, which would leave me little money for the rest of the electronics. Any thought on which route would sound best (the SD I know but what could I pair it with inexpensively for a good sound) and how I could do it cheaply? This is for a backup bass so I don't want to go crazy with tuition payments looming.

I have a wanted ad posted for a MM setup but have gotten no responses so far, but I'm hoping I can get a decent electronics setup somehow. Any help would be appreciated.

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Watch eBay, sometimes you can get some good pickups used on eBay.

I've got a Duncan alnico MM pup in my parts bass and I cannot say enough good things about it. It is really a bad-a** pup. Loads of growl from it. With a tweak of the eq, it is a slap monster. I'd be tempted to suggest getting the Duncan pup. If you need to have a neck pup, then use one of the jazz pups that you already have.

As for electronics, go passive. The Duncan MM pup is very hot and doesn't require any boosting.

3. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    How is yours wired? Control-wise I mean? I'm not that knowledgable at this point and I'll probably be back here posting later that I don't know what wire goes where anyway, but want to get an idea of the simple way to go while keeping a fairly good sound.

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I just put a preamp in because I'm a nut and can't leave well enough alone. However, for nearly a year I had my bass wired passive with simple volume-volume-tone controls. I actually have a coil tap switch, but find that I only like it in the series setting.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've never tried Mighty Mite pickups, they could be great for all I know.

But I think someone would have been here telling us what a great bargain they are if this were the case.

That being said, in your situation I'd go SD + passive over MightyMite + preamp.

6. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Okay, thanks so far. I'm going to find a SD pickup somewhere in the next few days I hope.