Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need some tips..

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by popinfresh, Feb 7, 2005.

1. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Sorry for making thread like this, but i really have no time to go looking for and then look through all different threads right now. In woodwork this year i've decided to make a bass, and the teacher says thats cool. So just any links, books or tips to check out about making a bass would be handy. Everything from woods, tools even to how to do measurements right so it's all centred and getting things like neck pockets and pickups in the right spots. It's going to be either 5 or 6 string, though i'm leaning towards 5, just because of more pickup options.

Also, is it possible to have a MM and P pup in one bass both in their 'sweet spots'? I'm looking for a seriously punchy and low mid growl/punch bass. I'm talking chest thumping punch. I play ska/reggae and my main band is old school zeppelin kind of rock, so something deep sounding would be good too. So i was thinking of putting in a MM pup in bridge and P in the middle. What you think? What woods would you recomend?

Sorry for the thread, but i'm really pushed for time, and on dads laptop atm. I can check the thread at school, so yerr.

Any help, tips, links, suggestion would be great.

Thanks.

2. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    If you can take the time to post an in-depth thread like this, then you can take the time to do some searching on this site. :) esp. if you're serious about making this bass. THis site has TONS of info.
    check out the MIMF as well.
    Get books: Melvyn Hiscocks.........i recently purchased the Benedetto book as well, and find it fascinating.
    Take a few weekends and just dedicate them to using the search engine here, using the library at MIMF, and carousing various books.
    Plan it all out, map it out, draw it out, measure twice, make sure your lines are square and true......
    ;)

3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Yeah, it's just that apart from school, i have no internet at the moment. And at school is just skimming during periods. That's why books etc are good. Thanks for those two, i'l check em out. I'm looking through the site now, but only have 5 mins left till i have to get off.. Thanks again.