1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need some tube amp advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PunkRocker33133, Jun 10, 2012.

1. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133 Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    Right now I use a Fender Bassman 100 into an Ampeg 810e. I play in a loud hardcore/pop punk band (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3811846731123 here's a video from our last show, you can kind of hear my tone) and I generally play with at least mild overdrive and often with heavy fuzz. I'd like a little more clean headroom and a lot more low mid grunt in my sound.

I tend to like the tones that the guys in Defeater, Title Fight, and Touche Amore have. Which is either an Ampeg V4b or an Orange AD200. So, basically, I'm looking for something along those lines?

My budget is around 800 dollars assuming my bassman and some other gear I have sells, so I'd like to stay in that range.

2. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Common ground between Orange and Ampeg, and the difference between them and the Fender is the Baxandall tone stack. Gives more mids than the Fender stack that can only cut mids. First free thing is starting the Fender you have flat, bass right down, mids max, treble down, that's the most mids you can get out of it. Make sure you listen with your ears.

3. PunkRocker33133

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    Good to know, I'll definitely try that at practice tomorrow

4. groovaholic

groovaholic The louder the better. Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Tube bass amps for $800 are a tough search! If you can find a used Ampeg SVT/SVT II/SVT Classic -- you'll get the sound you want, and might be able to get in the ballpark price-wise.

The Mesa Boogie Bass 400+ will OCCASIONALLY be in that price range, but probably even harder to find.

I got my Peavey Classic 400 for much less than $800 and it has TONS of clean headroom and more low-end than any amp I've ever heard -- but it is 95 Lbs. of back-breaking labor-of-love bass tone.

If you find ANY of these amps, LIFT THEM FIRST!! If the weight doesn't discourage you, go ahead and plug in.

If you plug in first, your ears will tell your back that it's capable of things it might not really appreciate...

5. PunkRocker33133

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    Dude, I'm an 18 year old kid who works out 3 days a week, lifting amps is nothing for a while lol. How do you guys feel about the Traynor YBA200?

6. Mr. Foxen

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    I like the Traynors for what they are, but it wasn't very valvey sounding, and grindy when I used one, clean.

Edit: I mean wasn't grindy either.

7. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    couldnt stand the yba200. it just sounded "off" to me. you should be able to find a good v4b in your price range if ya keep your eyes peeled. and sometimes you can find a steal on a fender 300pro in your range. a few have gone stupid cheap lately, although id never sell mine that low....no way.

8. randyg

randyg

Jul 10, 2010
    Creedmoor N.C.
    If you shop around , you can find a new Peavey VB-2 in that price range. I did and love it. It sounds really good through my 6-10 Ampeg cabinet , with lots of clean headroom . I do not use much distortion and play it with the master dimed and the clean channel gain on 1 or 2 and it is way loud. If you turn up the gain and lower the master it gets a little dirt in it. I have not used the distortion channel much , you may or may not like it. It also does 2 , 4 or 8 ohms so cabinet choice is not a problem.

9. PunkRocker33133

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    I honestly hated the one I tried, so that's not an option.

To the Eyeballkid, I've been looking, and attempting to sell and/or trade my Bassman for one, it just hasn't happened yet.

10. randyg

randyg

Jul 10, 2010
    Creedmoor N.C.
    I did have 2 of them. The first one had no bottem end to the sound , distorted really easy and had what sounded like a speaker rattle sound at low volume. Sent it back and the second one is a keeper. This one really brings it.

11. groovaholic

groovaholic The louder the better. Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Mount Prospect, IL
    You ask about the YBA-200; all that I've read about them said they were grindy and middy, and not nearly as nice as the YBA-200-2. Bear in mind, I have NO personal experience with the amp. I am a BIG fan of the vintage Traynors, but a YBA-3 or YBA-3A will set you back just as much as a used SVT-II these days. You used to be able to get the old Traynors for less than $200 routinely.

If lifting amps is not an issue for you, find yourself a Classic 400!
    Then PM me and I'll tell you all the cool $h!t I did to mine to make it the baddest amp on earth (OK, an exaggeration, but not an insupportable one).

It's the only amp where I've ever had the SOUNDMAN give it a doubletake, stop for a closer look, say "Holy $h!t" and volunteer to mic up my cabs...and that's happened a couple times with it.

BUT...as others have said, a Peavey VB-2 is also a glorious thing, just not as ridiculously overpowered and "dinosaur theory" as the Classic 400. And, you can find them used for $600 without too much effort.

Play it until it needs a retube, then retube with 6CA7's and enjoy! You REALLY need to give that amp a second chance, and stay off the overdrive channel! It is definitely NOT that amp's best side...

12. I don't think theres any difference between the YBA200 & YBA200-2 apart from a modification to the auto-biasing parts of the pwr tubes (sorry, I'm FAR from a tech ;)
    The -2 model ain't auto-bias, the earlier model YBA200 is, & it had some probs-altho the one I had didn't-worked & sounded fine.
    I've a YBA300 now, & love it long time.

13. I too have a Peavey Classic 400 and I can attest to its tonal abilities. And since it's channel-switching, you ahve the choice of clean and LOUD or dirty and LOUD...or quiet, it does come with volume controls.

I can also attest that it weighs a freakin' ton.

If yu are around the Nashville area, you are welcome to come play mine, and compare it to a restored Ampeg V4.

14. randyg

randyg

Jul 10, 2010
    Creedmoor N.C.
    I love my vb-2. It sounds great with my 610 Ampeg. Turning the presence knob to about 2 really helps too. Bought the head new and the cab used for what a new SVT head costs. A SVT may sound better , but this one suits me fine.

15. tallchris

tallchris

Dec 19, 2010
    Seattle
    Another option would be a GK-800RB with a VT Bass in front of it. A buddy uses this into an 8x10 and it sounds just as good as the vintage SVT he used to own. Definitely wouldn't hurt for headroom if you end up needing it!

16. Mr. Foxen

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    If you are going to VT bass is it, might as well use a PA power amp for max bang to buck.

17. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    Isn't there a SVT2Pro for sale here at $700?

18. tallchris

tallchris

Dec 19, 2010
    Seattle
    Totally. Though the nice thing about a 800-RB is that if your pedal craps out mid gig, you've already got a pretty sweet back up pre-amp right there in the amp itself.

I've been able to get pretty V4-B/SVT like tones out of the Tronographic Rusty Bux and a power amp. If my V4-B isn't available, that's pretty much my second choice. My band does most of our out of state touring by flying out and borrowing gear nowadays, so I end up doing this a fair amount.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No it doesn't ;) I've used a GK with a VT in front of several times on gigs where they ignored the SVT/810 on my rider, and I own a 69 SVT. And while it does sound good, there's no comparison between the VT and the real thing. And that's coming from a pretty huge VT fan.

20. PunkRocker33133

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    I thought about a GK, but I really like power tube distortion, so that's kind of out of the question. Jimmy, I know we differ tonally, but do you know the tonal differences between an SVT, V4, V4B, and SVT II pro off the top of your head?