Need some upbeat Christian songs

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bassistjedi, Nov 2, 2001.

1. I am looking for some songs to play at my churches youth group meetings. We have a load of worship songs but are lacking in the upbeat praise dept. I would like to stay away from just upping the temp on other songs that we already have and get some new content alltogehter. Please if anyone has any Helpful information it would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. This is the Recordings forum not Off Topic, so mods if you would keep it free of unrelated posts. Thanks.
  2. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Listen to some Delirious and Sonic Flood worship songs - very good - Sonic Flood has a new Praise live album out. Also, try some Hillsong worship CDs (from Sydney) - their youth group praise band, United Live, has some great songs.
  3. Thanks BG, we already do a couple of songs by Delerious and Hillsongs, but there probably is a lot more that we could do by them. Also thanks for the heads up on the new albums.
  4. LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    Third Day has some awesome songs. BassGuitar named alot of good stuff, I can't think of much else, maybe the Passion CDs (Chris Tomlin, Matt Redman, etc.)? Maybe throw in a few Christian-topic songs (U2, Kings X)?

5. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Play some white-metal... "Trouble"..hehe

6. My suggestions, I can send mp3's if you want....

By the band Satellite Soul
    - How I Love You
    - Always Greater
    these are both off their worship cd, so they're easy to implement to most praise bands.

the song "These Thousand Hills" by ? (Third Day maybe?).

Lot's of stuff by Caedmon's Call

"I Can See Jesus" ("Love Has Come") by Rich Mullins.

That's about all I can think of right now.
  7. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I came in to mention delerious? but BG got there first. I have played 'Deeper' more times than I have heard the CD!

So grasping at straws DC Talk. Try sifting through 'secular' or 'normal' stuff (like someone mentioned). Stevie Wonder wrote some semi religious stuff on Innervisions 'Higher Ground' was covered by RHCP.

Primal Scream did a 'gospel' song 'Moving on up' Lean on me (Bill Withers) Sit Down (James) there are others.

Sometimes you can use a song to say the opposite of what you mean although songs with swearing and anti-God lyrics may not go down to well with the church leadership.

Happy hunting.
  8. Some good ol' fashion Christian Punk is always good. Try searching on a file sharing program for Officer Negative. They are really good.
  9. Ozz

Ozz Guest

Nov 2, 2001
    suburb of dallas, tx
    Check out these albums:

Darrell Evans FREEDOM (This whole album is awesome. Check out the opening track 'trading my sorrows' has a really cool bass part that utilizes 10ths, waaaay coooool. Has several really good up tempo songs.)

Like the others, I would suggest getting your hands on some of the Hillsongs albums. They have a new one out called 'You are my world' that has some up tempo songs on it. Actually this entire album is going to be on our playlist at the church I subb at. Great stuff.

It's an awesome thing to use our hands and hearts to worship Him that created us and accepts us, to use what we love to show Him praise.
  10. If you want real upbeat christian songs, delve into Project 86 :)
  11. LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    I really like Hillsongs "By Your Side" CD, especially the songs "This is How We Overcome," and "I Feel Like I'm Falling."

I also like "Trading My Sorrows." Really great song, with a fun bassline.

12. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    I like a couple upbeat songs off of Israel Houghtons (sp) new album, New Season. Songs like "Who is like the Lord," "Trading my Sorrows," and, my personal favorite, "You Are Good." Actually, that whole album is great, pick it up if you get a chance.
  13. I love them! I went to a real small concert at a local church and they were the headliners I guess you could call them. The drummer lost a stick and I managed to get a hold of it. He signed it afterwords and we talked for a little while about drums and stuff (this is back when I was more interested in being a drummer than bassist). Cool guy.
  14. Ozz

Ozz Guest

Nov 2, 2001
    suburb of dallas, tx
    In response to Lee's reply: 'this is how we overcome' is one of my favorites.

I don't know what album it's on but another one would be 'Some of us will rise.' Does anyone know which album it's on?
  15. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    EW EW! I KNOW! HOW BOUT SOME P.O.D....YES ! I just now if jesus were alive he would love to hook up with the P.O.D. boys! cant you see him jamming with em?

16. you gotta add PsychoBassGuy, don't you think? The tube amp guru of the world.
  17. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    Check out 'The Insyderz' they do all worship songs but put a ska twist to it...or if u want to stray away from worship songs...check out Audio Adrenaline
  18. oh yeah, the Vandals did a very awesome remake of the hymm "Here I am, Lord" and it is very awesome. If im not mistaken the vocalist of the vandals is a christian.
  19. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Check out Fred Hammond and Radical for Christ. In addition to most of the music being upbeat, Fred Hammond is one of the best bassists around (imho) in any genre. Fred plays bass on the studio recordings. Terrance Palmer and Maurice Fitzgerald play on the live stuff while Fred leads vocals and directs the band and choir.

The best albums for upbeat stuff would probably be:

* Pages of Life (2 CD set, where one CD is live performance stuff, the other in studio. My favorites on this set are "Let The Praise Begin" and "Spirit of the Lord"

* Purpose By Design The title cut is great. There are several others

There is also a video of the "Purpose By Design" CD filmed at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas. Opens with Fred soloing on a 6 string Ken Smith. I think Maurice Fitzgerald is the bassist on the rest of the cuts in this video, but if you can get your hands on it, get it.

20. King's X's early stuff had a lot of Christian overtones. Try King andShot of Love off their first album, Out of the Silent Planet.