1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need someone to help me with a few original bass lines

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by DerrickShaney, Jul 2, 2012.

1. DerrickShaney

DerrickShaney

Jun 18, 2011
    St.Cloud MN
    Hello, I have been playing with a band for a few months now and we are gigging quite regularly. I wrote some bass lines for our original songs but usually just end up sticking to the root for the most part so that we can continue practicing as a band without being held up too much and then elaborate on the line later. I am relatively inexperienced when it comes to writing bass lines and looking for someone who would be willing to help me out with a few songs I am not particularly happy with.

I can send you demos of the songs and the line I am playing. It would be nice to bounce some ideas of an experienced bassist. Please let me know if you are interested in helping me. Thanks!
    :help:

2. scatbass

scatbass

Feb 4, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Write the bass line without your bass in hand. Listen to the tracks - in the car, out running, whatever - and just listen. What do you hear?? Go back and play what you hear.

3. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    +1 to this. The nice thing about originals is that there is nothing written in stone.

Work on developing a couple different lines for the songs, then take them to the band and offer them up at rehearsal.
    Work 'em out with the input of everyone else.

Above all else - -serve the song & serve it well..

4. DerrickShaney

DerrickShaney

Jun 18, 2011
    St.Cloud MN
    Thank you for the advice! Unfortunately with our original songs that is easier said than done. They are not in a typical chord progression and a bit out of the ordinary also we have a synth player in the band and for some reason when she is playing the parts clash with the bass and don't always sound great (not sure why this is?) I think these songs need a professionals touch to get it to sound right and for some reason my brain just cannot figure some of it out at the moment.

5. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Ah.. the age old keyboardist stepping on bassline dilemma.
    Work out your lines with her. Maybe she can play her part in a higher register so you can have the bottom line all to yourself. Even in an atypical progression, you should be able to come up with an awesome line. Also too, sometimes those root notes are the way to go. May not be as challenging, but may be best for the song.

6. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    If you know what the chords are, explore lines that have the root, 3rd, 5th , 7th and octave of the chord as tones to add to your root based lines. You need to put in the work, otherwise you'll delay your ability to hear what things work and what things don't.