need something besides DRs for my vintage P-Bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by naughtry, Dec 5, 2005.

1. naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    I've come to the conclusion DRs arent getting the sound I want or sitting in the mix right for me. I put on some old Ernie Balls and those are better but Im still not there...

Im playing with a new band and want a fatter smoother type sound heres some of the old songs I didnt play on...

Amy recommendations as what strings would sound best for this music? I play a vintage P-bass tuned Drop D through Ampeg rigs.
  2. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I've used many dif sets on my 66 Precision, and have settled on Elixir Polywebs for rounds, and Labella for flats. Either sound killer to me for classic rock, heavy stuff, loud, etc.
  3. Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    i´ve tried DR´s, yamaha, Warwick, GHS, Rotosound. Now i have Daddario EXL on my P-Bass and really like them the most. To me they sound fatter and smoother than the anything i tried before.
  4. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    I finally got around to putting TI flats on my 64 Jazz and I just love em'. Don't know why it took me so long.
  5. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    After 25 years playing roundwounds, I put some Fender flats on my fretless and I love 'em. I'm going to put some on my '76 P fretted. Flats just sound right to me.
  6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    What year?

I've always loved Hybrid Slinkys on late '70s Ps, but I just put them on a lakland bob glaub ('64 copy) and the were a little too tame and middy on there. Its all about finding a balance with the personality of the bass.

DR fat beams are working nicely for me so far on the BG, if a little bit too bright (which will fade), as did the sadowsky flats. I was tempted to leave the sadowskys on there, they were amazing, but I really need rounds on this bass.

I'm interested to see what everyone else uses.
  7. naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
  8. naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    i think before when i said smooth that may have been misleading. A better desciption would be less metallic zing and a smoother attack but still some growl and grit. My main problem with DRs is they seemed to have this sharp ringing metallic attack and trebly overtones that just didnt sound right in the mix.

I dont think flats are want i want at all, I'm thinking about trying D'addarios or a new set of Fender 8250s. I put the set that came on my Jazz bass on this P and i really like the balance and tension in drop D casue of the tapered 110 E string. They also dont have the werid overtones and sound more right to me. Only thing is they seem a little tough on the hands but im thinking thats just cause its an old set.
  9. I use medium Fender 9050's on my P-Bass clone and I love them on that bass. P-Bass + flats = big tone
  10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I've spent a lot of dough, looking for strings.
    For my 1966-P-bass I use eather.
    TI Flats- these strings get better with age.
    Ken Smith Compressors- Brighter than flats, but still have big bottom.
    DR Nickel Rounds- I Just dig there balance.
  11. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
  12. Interesting.

I moved my broken-in set of EXL-220 from my fretless, to my P, and it has a huge, clear bottom.

Link to P-Bass with EXL-220

The above MP3 is about 5mb, so be forwarned. The bass is in the center, and the mix is panned hard-right. You can solo the bass in Left, or bury the bass panning hard right.
  13. naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    i tried some D'Addario EXL165s and will probaly play these for while. They sound and play pretty nice but are also really cheap... their double packs are basically 2 sets of strings for the price of 1.
  14. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Try Flats or Fender 7150's Pure Nickel Rounds.
  15. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    How about a set of Fender Super Bass Nickels? They actually sound pretty dang good and aren't too priecey, either.

I currently have my main bass strung with standard Rotosounds and they convinced me to start spending more cash on strings again, but they may already be a tad too bright for you.