1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need something between a Dunlop flat and EB Cobalt flat

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Cleezmo, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Cleezmo

Cleezmo

Feb 25, 2015
    I need a string that sonically is between an EB Cobalt Flat and a Dunlop flat.

I have a G&L L-2500 fretless (alder/ebony) that I acquired about 2 years ago that I love, but I’m still trying to find the ‘right’ string for it. Initially it had rounds, but that only lasted the first 6 months. Tried EB Cobalt Flats on it, which had a very ‘round wound without the rattle’ tone, which I liked initially, but after a while I felt they were too mid-heavy and a bit one-dimensional; they sounded great for rock stuff but couldn’t get a warmer, more mellow tone. I always found myself rolling the bass all the way up, but couldn’t touch the treble much or it would get way too trebly. For the past few months I’ve had Dunlop flats on it, and they are much warmer and bring out a great jazz tone, but they don’t have the mids or highs of the EBs. I’m doing the opposite EQing now; only rolling on a bit of bass, but rolling on more treble. So essentially I’m looking for something with more bite than the Dunlop flats, but a bit warmer than the EB Cobalt flats.

For the record the only other flats I’ve tried on other basses are DR Legends, which I really like, but they are a more ‘old school tone’ flat to me, so I don’t think they’d sound much different on the L than the Dunlops.

I’m thinking another flat, but would consider half rounds or the new-ish GHS balanced nickels. I just want a string that has a bit wider sonic range to mirror the tonal range of the L-2500.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. GHS Brite Flats, which are Alloy 52 half-rounds, may be a viable option.

@trothwell had an audio clip of them on his fretless posted in another thread. I really liked the way they sounded on the clip.

3. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    TI Jazz Flats are amazing.

4. J-Mags

J-Mags Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    My humble opinion, based on nearly 40 years playing music: now is the time to spend a buttload of money on a bunch of different bass strings.

5. Heavy Blue

Heavy Blue

Nov 11, 2017
    Prairie Canada
    I wouldn't know. After reading tons of hype and praise about them here and elsewhere. I spent $70 on a set and the damn brass bit at the end of the E string snapped as I was tuning it up open installation.

It was quite a while after I bought them so the sales slip was long gone by then.

Either way, that's my first and last experience with TI. I'm too restricted income wise to risk that again.

6. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    Tried the Ernie Ball stainless steel flats?

7. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Dunlop flat < ? > cobalt flat.

I vote the discontinued Sadowsky black label flat 40-100 or Fender 9050L.