Need something "thicker" thank my B3K

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Maxfenderbass, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Hey guys,

Looking for some recommendations for a overdrive/distortion to replace my B3K, I find the B3K has a lot of booty and top end sizzle but I'm looking for something with a bit more body and full frequency. I play in a hard rock/grunge band. I currently use my B3K for a lot of our stuff that doesn't require fuzz and I like my sound to be almost always dirty.

My rig is a Jazz Bass into a SVT-VR/810 CE.

My other dirt pedals are as follows;
    MXR Bass Distortion (used on occasion when I want to overpower my band LOL)
    Fuzzrocious Grey Stache
    EHX Green Russian Reissue

The pedals I was looking at are the Alpha Omega and the Damnation Audio MBD-1.

Any other suggestions out there?

2. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    You are ripe for the TAFM experience. team awesome fuzz machine by Small Sound Big Sound.

3. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    This is easy.... Damnation MBD-1.

3C9CC11E-14A3-415C-9F14-2358F9901F96.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    kevk, neptoon, gregmon79 and 6 others like this.
  4. 2010P

2010P Inactive

May 13, 2017
    I suggest the Pike Vulcan XL because it can still give you the Darkglass vibe but with greater eq flexibility as well as a slightly more organic sound.

Scott Lynch likes this.
  5. The only thing with the damnation currently is He said he is putting builds on hiatus while he works on other projects...

6. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Yes, but he may still have a few... get one while you can.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

As of earlier this afternoon, he has a few each in white and gold. No more black.

neptoon and saltydude like this.
  8. Gotta sell my B3K first

9. guitarflinger

guitarflinger Not all who wander are lost Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Front Range, Colorado
    Idiotbox Blowerbox

10. BunchyMutt

BunchyMutt Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Have you tried the vintage? I recently made the switch from a B7KU to a Vintage U for exactly the same reasons you've mentioned

11. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    ljy7Ti5.gif

12. I’ve never tried one, but from what I hear from all the demos is it’s not harsh enough? If that makes sense lol.

13. That one and the cog mini 66 have been catching my eye for some time now.

theunknowndude likes this.
  14. Noylin

Noylin

May 28, 2014
    Cuse
    Boosting 250 on the b7k ultra would be a lot thicker. The b3k V2 with mid switch looks interesting too.

Otherwise you might look into a bass friendly rat if you want to keep that high mid bite flavor of the b3k. The mxr bass distortion comes to mind

15. BunchyMutt

BunchyMutt Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Can't speak for the non Ultra versions. There's also the B3K V2 - sounds like it's designed to do what you want. No affiliation or even a DG fanboi, just wondering if you want something that approximates the sound you already have or are looking for a new flavor.

16. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    The newer Vintage Deluxe / Ultra has the same boost switch as the B3K to give it a more aggressive edge. I'm also a big fan of the Vulcan - the colour knob (or switch on the XL) goes between an agressive Vintage style tone and a B3K style tone, leave it in the middle to get a blend of both. If you like the B3K but want more midrange bite and find the Vintage too smooth, it's a solid recommendation.

17. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I went through a number of pedals over the past year (Empress multidrive, Big Muff, Pork Loin to name a few). Just picked up a Digitech Hardwire Dm-2 and have to say I’m impressed. Definitely has a thick sound.

18. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah between the mid switch and the blend you can send through as much "thick" as you can dish out. Total thickness (and sick-ness) control.

Mine's on the way! :bassist:

Moosehead1966 likes this.
  19. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Mill Valley, CA
    My $.02 is that the Vulcan XL won't give him the booty he's looking for, since that's exactly why I got rid of mine.

Maxfenderbass likes this.
  20. Already got it! Haha

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021