1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need something to create wierd sounds and sample...i think?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassguppy, Apr 12, 2010.

1. I'm not exactly sure what will do this but....

I need something that I can record and create wierd and quirky sounds with. This will be for live use mainly.

I play kids music and want something that I can trigger (while playing bass also) sounds like ocean waves, bouncing springs, robot sounds, etc. I have a theramin based effect called the Alesis AirSynth that I want to record several sounds off of and transfer over also, but would also like to create new sounds on the whatever I get.

Would the Korg Kaoss or Roland SP-404 do what I'm looking for or are there any other suggestions.

2. Subscribed- I'd like to do the same thing, I think.
    Edit: I wonder if this might go well in *effects* :meh:

3. Do some searching in the 'Effects' forum. TOOOONS of helpful info will be found there by super knowledgeable dudes.

For me, since i also dig a little lo-fi flavor, i've used a boss RC-50 to record samples and soundloops off of tv/computer.

Since it's pedal activated, it works well physically rather than pausing and triggering a Kaos pad/keyboard synth.

other stuff i've used:

-A laptop is perfect for this. There's lots of freeware out there to record/loop stuff. Plus, with youtube and the like you can find a MULTITUDE of sounds/samples.
    -A SUPER old tape recorder. Did this in a dirty punk band. We recorded speaches/songs/sounds on a tape and played it into a mic. We would even intentionally leave the tape in the sun so it would get warped and gnarly sounding.
    -Korg Kaos Pad. Just used it for sound loops, but it worked very well.

Again, check the Effects forum and i'm sure you;ll have it figgured out in no time!

4. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    Zoom B1! Cheap (about $60), and has alot of wierd, unusable (at least for music) stuff.

5. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

My son uses a freeware program called PureData to program
    and produce synthesized sounds. Google will reveal a tutorial
    and a forum.

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The best source I've found for sounds like that are actual kids' toys. Go to the toy section of a large store and check out the electronic noisemaking things--especially in the "toddler" section. Terrific stuff, and all you need to perform with it is to sever the connection to the internal piezo speaker, and wire on a 1/4' jack.

For something that allows you to record sounds and play them back ("sampling"), there are a vast array of "jam box" units from Boss, Yamaha, and many other brands, that feature sampling. Look at the Boss SP series to start.