1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need Song suggestions

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by funkybass, Oct 22, 2010.

1. funkybass

funkybass

Oct 19, 2006
    Indiana
    I've been playing at a church in town, and they want us to play a concert in a few weeks outside of church. We've been asked to play 3-4 secular songs. Anyone got any ideas?

2. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    I'd say keep it lighter, and mind the content, if you expect audience crossover. Every iittle thing she does is magic, I saw her standing there (if you guys are younger, its easier to pull that off)

3. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    You can stay with a religious theme with some older secular hits such as Spirit In The Sky by Norman Greenbaum, Put Your Hand In The Hand by Ocean, Day By Day from Godspell. you can also check out some tunes by The Newsboys, Mercy Me, Third Day, etc. that are Christian groups with crossover hits and appeal.

4. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, great choices. Try some Rev. Al Green!

5. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    My pastor once had us play We Can Work It Out by the Beatles cause it went with his message.

6. EdHunter

EdHunter

Jan 14, 2010
    Dublin
    Maybe After Forever and Under the Sun, by Black Sabbath. Those would be superb cross-overs between sacred and secular, even more so if you want to connect with both sides of the audience.

7. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

"Secular music" is an awfully broad parameter. What instrumentation do you have? Do you want people to dance or something more mellow? I mean, if you can play anything, I'd say give them Siberian Khatru.

But if you're thinking more crossover material, Sixpence None the Richer can be a good band to follow -- "Kiss Me" or "There She Goes" -- if you have a vocalist that can do it. U2 also fits well in a crossover setting. "One" could be kind of interesting, with it's "Have you come here to play Jesus..." verse. Or for just PG-rated party music, play "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" or "What I Like About You."

8. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I've wanted to do "Away from the [DEL]son[/DEL] sun" by 3 doors down as a P&W tune for quite some time now.

We did Running on empty during a service a while back.

9. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    How about Jesus Is Just Alright by The Byrds, The Doobie Brothers, and others.

10. Depending on the age of the audience, give some thought to ole time sing along songs.

Home on the range.
    Morning has broken
    Red River Valley
    Working on the Railroad
    My Wild Irish Rose
    My Bonnie lies over the ocean
    On Top of Old Smoky
    My Blue Heaven