Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Socks, Oct 19, 2002.

1. Socks

Socks Guest

I'm thinking about starting a band with some of my friends, but I can't think of any songs we could play to others. I mainly play jazz (but need to be accepted into the social circle) and the rock songs I listen to are Pink Floyd. No-one in high school nowadays would know who Pikn Floyd are.

Anyone know of any songs to start off with?

(note: will probably be a quartet, maybe with a trumpet or something to give my friend some playing experience)
  2. Blink 182? Sum 41?

Some pieces are timeless, everyone will know "Layilah"(sp?), "Stairway to Heaven", Maybe some Aerosmith.

Or you could just do originals
  3. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    Nobody in highschool knowing Pink Floyd? Where the hell do you live, I wanna move there.
  4. Socks

Socks Guest

Cheers doods.

I'm in Adelaide, South Aus, but everybody in my school's either hard rockers (Korn, etc) or Britney Spears fans.

I don't know how I do it sometimes....
  5. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    ur right...i dunno who pikn floyd are

6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Well, there are youngsters out there that don't know that the Rolling Stones did "Satisfaction" long before Britney Spears was even a twinkle in her daddy's eye! ;)

Form your band and talk about what kind of music you guys like. If there are going to be three of you, chances are good that you will get at least a few different genres of music, based on that fact that I'm sure you all have different favorite bands. If you are going to be just a cover band (no originals), the formula for being successful is very, very simple: Play what your audience wants to hear. With that in mind, take everyone's favorite bands, relate them to a genre and choose popular songs in that genre (radio and MTV can be a big help here -- they only play what's popular anyway). For example, your favorite band is Pink Floyd. I would classify them as rock or classic rock. Aerosmith is rock (or classic rock, depending on the song) and they're still fairly popular, so pick a few AS songs and rock out! If your drummer's favorite artist is Pink, find a couple of songs in the dancy, hip-hoppy, Top 40 genre and go to town. If you can get a set list of 15 or 20 songs together, you can start opening for other bands. Listen to what they're doing and watch the crowd's response. If the crowd is responding favorably to what they're playing, copy some of their set list. If not, make a note of which songs aren't going over well and then ask, "Is it the song, the band, or the crowd?" If you determine that a song won't get a decent response no matter who played it, don't play it either. The most important thing you can do (if you're in a cover band) is listen to your audience. If by chance someone asks if you do "Wish You Were Here," know it for the next gig, if they want you to play "Hanging By A Moment," know that for the next gig. If neither song gets a "pop" at the next gig, keep it on your backup list -- someone may ask for it again and then you can whip it out for 'em (the song, that is)!

Good luck!
  7. I dont think Korn is "hard rock".... They TRY to...

But thats just me.
  8. Dude! FREEBIRD!, Stairway to 7/11, Pink Pussy Cat by Devo.. Jazzy/punk/bassy/horns kind of stuff,,, any song by Morphine or the Lounge Lizards.

9. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Who's going to sing? They might have something to say about what the willing to do. the other thing is while the istrumentalist have a easier time copping tones and timbres the voice is very personal so choose songs that the singer sounds good on.

10. Morphine....excellent recomendation. I have always been the one who would rather take the route of playing originals. If you've got the jazz in you, you might want to bring it out and be creative. let your band be something inspiring. But, when I was first starting out I always played a lot of Rage Against the Machine, if nothing else to warm up.