Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need songs...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by George Boscan, Oct 22, 2000.

1. George Boscan

George Boscan

Oct 22, 2000
    Can anyone tell me any good rock song??? Something like Red Hot Chili Peppers or Bon Jovi, or things like that...
    I would be really appreciate...
    Thanks...

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Welcome to the board, George.

It would be helpful if you told us what you want to do with the songs we suggest - You know, transcribe them, create a repertoire for your band or just to broaden your music collection.

It would also be helpful if you told us what kind of music you like and what you're currently listening to.

Well, here's a couple suggestions:

Everything recorded by the Beatles. (tip: Yellow Submarine should be at the bottom of your list unless you'd like to hear orchestrated versions of Beatle songs. My recommendations in order of preference: 1-Rubber Soul,2(tie) The White Album,2(tie) Revolver,2(tie) Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and 3- Help!. Even Better, save money and get the Anthologies)

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds. Just get it!

XTC - Oranges and Lemons. Anything by XTC, as a matter of fact.

Steely Dan - Anything, really.

The entire Motown catalog from the sixties. Not Rock Per se, but it's mandatory listening for any bassist.

Will C.:cool:

3. George Boscan

George Boscan

Oct 22, 2000
    Thanks..., aahh..., well I like rock music..., not HEAVY ROCK, cause it sounds so..., stupid..., too noisy..., well, I'll just listen to the songs from my friends cd's, and then if I like that kind of music, I'll buy the cd and start to learn how to play that song or the whole cd..., don't tell me blink 182 cause I know all of their songs and I think the songs are too simple...
    Thanks

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Again, your description of your taste is pretty vague. I'd recommend listening to, and learning, as many Rush songs and The Who songs that you can. It's good discipline and will teach you A LOT!!! Even if you don't like that stuff...

5. zilla04

zilla04

Feb 11, 2000
    Franklin
    Rush...it may sound really hard and some of it is but you could start with easier songs like Dreamline or Bravado off of Roll the Bones. Trust me just work on them. I'm 14 (15 on March 8) and I know Limelight, Lakeside Park, and some of 2112.