Need speakers for Ampeg V4B cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JerryTheFly, May 12, 2018.

1. JerryTheFly

JerryTheFly

Apr 2, 2016
    I recently respeakered the folded horn 2x15 cab with Eminence Beta 15As and within 10 hours of playing time, one of them blew. Any recommendations on better speakers that will hold up in this cab? Trying to stick with Eminence.

Thanks!

2. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    Good to have high BL factor with horns.
    Which is the strength of the motor

Likewise better thermal managment.

Plain english you want a big ass magnet a big old voice coil and hopefully a vented coil.

American standard series can hang maybe. But wimpy 30 ounce magnets and small coils 2 inch or 2.5 inch gonna overheat and not have motor strength for high transients.

Move up in pro series drivers 3 inch vented coils. And larger 100 ounce or higher magnets. High BL is good for horns and only one way get it. Big old magnets.

The omega series is designed for horns 4 inch coil and largest magnet eminence makes. BL is very high but the bandwidth is not ideal for bass. Little muddy ...lot muddy actually

The Kapppa pro 15 with vented 3 inch coil and 80 ounce magnet has more usable bandwith and survive in the horn. Plus very high sensitivity. A pair in a horn...woo loud loud lol

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  3. JerryTheFly

JerryTheFly

Apr 2, 2016
    Dope. I'll definitely pick up a pair of those then! Thanks! Always awesome to have so many people here who actually know what they're doing! Haha

4. JerryTheFly

JerryTheFly

Apr 2, 2016
    Would you do the 15A or the 15LF?

5. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    15A

6. JerryTheFly

JerryTheFly

Apr 2, 2016
    Ah poopie, I ordered the LF since it's got a higher BL and says it's specifically made for horn-loading. Why would you do 15A over the LF?

7. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Compare the frequency response plots and efficiency ratings.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021