1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need Spector help!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by barkslinger, May 11, 2010.

1. barkslinger

barkslinger

May 11, 2010
    I just purchased a Spector Legend 5 as a backup bass (I realize that it's a cheaper Spector). It has EMG "SSD" pups and the "TonePump Jr." preamp. Does anyone have knowledge about these pups and this preamp? Should either be replaced?

2. NS2A

NS2A

Apr 3, 2008
    Some brutal honestly...

Use your ears. Does it sound bad? Do you like the tone? And most importantly, how does it sound in the mix?

I'm sure people will chime in and say to put active EMG's and a new pre in there. You could do that, but is it worth it for that bass?

Others will say the Tonepump sucks. I had a bass with the TP and I liked it.

3. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Tonepumps are perfectly fine..... I just don't like the "boost only" part.

4. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    This ^

5. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I had a Legend 5 as my main axe for about a year or so. IMO it's not worth really the upgrades. I'd save a little more and get a ReBop used or something.

6. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I get a great sound on mine by just turning all the knobs all the way up most of the time, although for different styles I'll make adjustments. I think maybe it could be shielded a tad better, but other than that it's great.

7. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    my 4 custom is still stock, everyone tells me I should swap the TP for Aguilar OBP-3 but no one will tell me what the changes will do to my sound LOL.

8. I've got a Performer DLX 4 with the EMG SSDs (no TonePump). Low end had no definition to the notes, just mud. I dropped a Delano Sonar 3 pre in there and never looked back.

9. DTF

DTF

Feb 14, 2010
    queens
    I have a rebop zebop 5 and just threw in an audere zmode pre and some SD NYC phase II passive soapbars , Its like night and day .The Bass sounds great now and the switching options are mind boggling between the 3 z modes and the parallel, series, single coil switches , it cost about 500 bucks though for the pre, knobs ,pups, and switches and I did the labor myself so im assuming that saves 100-150 you may be better off buying something that sounds the way you want it to I threw 500 into a bass I payed 750 for , but im happy with the end result so I guess it was worth it