Need string advice ASAP

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by kik4adog, Feb 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kik4adog

Jan 3, 2002
    I'm sorry if this question has been asked before.
    But I feel I am in somewhat of an unfamiliar situation.
    I'm new to playing the upright double bass.
    And I'm playing in a Rock band.
    I am playing all pizzicato right now.
    I have interest in doing stuff with the bow but I will probably continue to play mostly pizzicato.

I am looking for a string that is going to allow me to play pizzicato with ease but that will also give me a nice warm tone to back up my band with.

I have purchased D'
    D'Addario's Helicore Pizzicato series strings but have not yet put them on.

I am looking for advice on how these strings are before I open them so that I can still return them if they aren't the best strings for me.

I was considering the Hybrid Series but I thought in my situation the Pizzicato series would be better.

I definitely need a string capable of producing a nice warm tone that I can back my band with.

Any advice would be well appreciated.
    Thank you
  2. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Check out the Obligato strings by Pirastro: good thump, nice sustain, easy and sweet arco sound. Most orchestra strings won't give enough sustain pizzicato and most pizz string will be very scratchy for arco. Don't waist your time with Helicore Hybrid (no bow value), nor with Innovation 140H or 140B (very short thump). Other options are Thomastik Spirocore ("medium" are a bit scratchy under the bow but not as much as the "weich" ones) Thomastic Superflexible and, if you like something brighter, Corelli 370TX (forte).
  3. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Hi Bryan.
    You told me in an email to you've chosen the Hybrids.
    You seem to be happy, that's what counts.
    If you ever want to try something else, the Obligatos, like Olivier suggested, are a nice warm string.
    Pirastro has the best choice, and best quality, IMHO.
  4. The dadario's pizz are for jazz and bow like crap. It's the guts that don't roll with the bow.
  5. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    If you've already got the D'Addario Pizz strings, have them put on and go with them for a while. it's not a hugely popular string, but I've known a few people who used them and loved them. One was touring with a rock band. You'll likely get a lot of sound with them. Your desire for "warmth" with a rock band will be challenging for other reasons, amplification for starters.

There are ton of strings that you could try, but I don't think there's a magic answer. If you're new to this, put on what you have, burn them in and spend your practice time realizing that you can change your tone with your hands.
  6. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Well, just to clear up things:
    Our new friend brayas resurrected a 7 years old thread, and the original poster didn't come back since 5 years, so I suggest this thread be closed...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.