1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

need string advice-flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SRSiegel, Apr 20, 2002.

1. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Hi everyone.

before you rip into me... I did search this subject... so please bear with me, even though this question may seem a little odd.

I prefer the feeling and sound of flatwounds on my LB75 fretless. also the DR hibeams i have on it right now are tearing up the fretboard a bit too fast for my taste.

unfortunatly... the only flats I had were the carvin flats that came with the bass. they were total crap. I defenitly prefer the tension and responsiveness of the DR hibeams.

So the next time i change strings, which will be soon i think, I want strings that are nonabrasive, and sound like flats... but i want the tension and responsiveness of the roundwounds. I think im just looking for a set of high tension flats, of a heavier gauge... but i could be wrong.

do you guys have any suggestions for a fairly affordable set for a 34" scale 5 string? (i prefer to mount the strings through the body)

$50 or less, i dont intend on changing them often.

thanks everyone

2. I'm not familiar with the DR Highbeams. But they're round-wounds, right. Most flatwounds have considerably higher tension than most round-wounds. The only really loose tension flats that I know of are Thomasticks. They are much lower tension than any other flats that I know of and probably much closer to many rounds. Check them out, they may be what you're looking for.

3. Another option is to go for a set of "groundwound" strings, such as Rotosound Solo Bass. They have the definition and brightness of rounds, but are not nearly as abrasive. Others like them are D'Addario Half-rounds, Dean Markley (cant remember the model).

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    GHS Precision Flats might work out for ya'...they're fairly high tension and
    relatively inexpensive ( ~$20/set at Mars or GC). They come in three gauges
    for 34"-36" scales (light, med, regular). They have stainless steel outer wraps.

(no - not a GHS shill :p...still a T/I fanatic :D )

The only other ones I've tried with higher tension was LaBella's James
    Jamerson set. Yikes! :eek: Talk about tension!

5. The flats I use on my MIM fretless Jazz are Rotosound 77s. They're very bright for flatwounds, and have a nice feel to them. They're more responsive IMHO than Fender flats, and they have a nice sustain. And they're only about $25.00* per set. I love 'em and recommend them highly.

Mike J.
    *$25 for a 4 string set.

6. I've never tried the Thomasik-Infelds. Are they really worth the $$$$ and why???

7. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    bassdr,
    Yes, the TI Jazz Flats are worth the $$$, because they feel great, they sound great, they don't wear out the fingerboard as fast (as rounds), and they last a good while.
    If you happen to try some and don't like them at first, give them time, they get better when they're broken in.
    I didn't care too much for them on my fretted bass but I love them on my fretless. I'll probably give them another try on my fretted bass next time I change strings on it.