need string advice-flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SRSiegel, Apr 20, 2002.

1. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Hi everyone.

before you rip into me... I did search this subject... so please bear with me, even though this question may seem a little odd.

I prefer the feeling and sound of flatwounds on my LB75 fretless. also the DR hibeams i have on it right now are tearing up the fretboard a bit too fast for my taste.

unfortunatly... the only flats I had were the carvin flats that came with the bass. they were total crap. I defenitly prefer the tension and responsiveness of the DR hibeams.

So the next time i change strings, which will be soon i think, I want strings that are nonabrasive, and sound like flats... but i want the tension and responsiveness of the roundwounds. I think im just looking for a set of high tension flats, of a heavier gauge... but i could be wrong.

do you guys have any suggestions for a fairly affordable set for a 34" scale 5 string? (i prefer to mount the strings through the body)

$50 or less, i dont intend on changing them often.

thanks everyone
  2. I'm not familiar with the DR Highbeams. But they're round-wounds, right. Most flatwounds have considerably higher tension than most round-wounds. The only really loose tension flats that I know of are Thomasticks. They are much lower tension than any other flats that I know of and probably much closer to many rounds. Check them out, they may be what you're looking for.
  3. Another option is to go for a set of "groundwound" strings, such as Rotosound Solo Bass. They have the definition and brightness of rounds, but are not nearly as abrasive. Others like them are D'Addario Half-rounds, Dean Markley (cant remember the model).
  4. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    GHS Precision Flats might work out for ya'...they're fairly high tension and
    relatively inexpensive ( ~$20/set at Mars or GC). They come in three gauges
    for 34"-36" scales (light, med, regular). They have stainless steel outer wraps.

(no - not a GHS shill :p...still a T/I fanatic :D )

The only other ones I've tried with higher tension was Labella's James
    Jamerson set. Yikes! :eek: Talk about tension!
  5. The flats I use on my MIM fretless Jazz are Rotosound 77s. They're very bright for flatwounds, and have a nice feel to them. They're more responsive IMHO than Fender flats, and they have a nice sustain. And they're only about $25.00* per set. I love 'em and recommend them highly.

Mike J.
    *$25 for a 4 string set.
  6. I've never tried the Thomasik-Infelds. Are they really worth the $$$$ and why???
  7. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Yes, the TI Jazz Flats are worth the $$$, because they feel great, they sound great, they don't wear out the fingerboard as fast (as rounds), and they last a good while.
    If you happen to try some and don't like them at first, give them time, they get better when they're broken in.
    I didn't care too much for them on my fretted bass but I love them on my fretless. I'll probably give them another try on my fretted bass next time I change strings on it.