1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need String advice, Please!

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Petebass91, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Petebass91

Petebass91

Jan 17, 2012
    Hi all,
    I have an approx. 15-20 year old fully carved romanian bass, no makers name. For the past year, I've had Pirastro Obligatos on it. Here's the thing. The bass is already a very loud instrument, and has a pretty broad tone, which the obligatos have only accentuated. I'm thinking its time to reign back. Can anyone recommend a string that is maybe a little rounder, bassy-er and more focused in sound?
    The feel of Obligatos is really nice, but the way they sound on this bass is just too bright for my taste( maybe they were just getting old ?) but I'm willing to try something with higher tension, and less roll. I also had Velvets for a while, but had some issues with how they sounded if I had to use an amp. Same issues with amplification came up when I tried gut G and D.
    I'm

Lately, I'm mostly playing in and out of jazz, rock, country and folk. Mostly pizz, although I do get to play arco for some gigs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. eerbrev

eerbrev

Dec 6, 2009
    Ottawa, ON, CAN
    If you're looking for rounder and darker, orchestral strings are likely a good bet. Some people like flexocors and bel Cantos. I wish I could help more, but I tend to the bright side, so it's hard to think of strings. I love Permanents and spirocores on my orchestral bass, so I'm probably the last person to ask.

of course, you could always buy a set of spirocores and bury them in your back yard for a month....

eerbrev

3. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I find Evah Weichs to be darker than Oblis and good pizz strings.

4. Matt Ides

Matt Ides Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I got Evah weichs on a newer bass. Bright bass with darker strings is working well.

5. From your criteria I think you should give Belcantos a try.
    I think they have a rich pizz that is often underated on this forum. They can sound good in a folk ensemble too. I'm using Spiro Weich's at the mo for their lower tension and they too are a great string. Of course it depends on your bass.

6. Evah Weich is a rather dark string. Definately darker than Obligato.
    Innovation 140H (Honeys) might be nice too, more lower midrange, so a bit brighter than Evahs but less than Obligato.

Personally I like the G and D a little bit darker than A and E, but need a bit more sustain on the lower strings, so I'm using lower tension steel strings (Spiro Weich S42W) for A and E. The Innovation 140B i use on the higher strings are a bit brighter than Evahs, a bit more highs than 140H but less than Obligato. But this could be a bit too bright for your needs.

7. Petebass91

Petebass91

Jan 17, 2012
    Thanks all!
    My Luthier happened to have a set of Evah Pirazzi on hand, when I brought the bass in for some work the other day, and seeing as how they're within a decent budget, I figured why not.
    I'll post when I get my bass back after the weekend. Im excited to hear how they sound on my bass!

8. Matt Ides

Matt Ides Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Well I play half as good as most people posting here and I get compliments on the sound. I think you'll like the evahs.

9. Petebass91

Petebass91

Jan 17, 2012
    Just got my bass back today. Evah pirazzi were definitely the way to go. Much darker and more low end presence. I get more punch and way less twang.Thanks all for the recommendations!