need string advice

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by lil'bass, May 20, 2004.

1. I like a smooth round bass tone but at the minute im using the strings that came with my warwick and it sounds like im using a pick even though i dont(a bit clacky)....someone said its my strings. What strings would give me a smooth round tone? Thanx in advance.
  2. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    for starters, what kinda music do ya play?

of the bat, i'd suggest flats.

did ya get the warwick new?

what kinda warwick?
  3. sorry mate i was a bit vague wasnt i. I got a corvette fna jazzman new. I play in a band with two guitarists but i predominantly have a funk influence. Im not sure flats will have to punch to get through the guitars?
  4. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    1st off, that is a KILLER BASS! Flats will not do it any justice!

I'd say DR Hi Beams or Low Riders. I have used both on my thumb and they have punch to spare!

Oh did I say that FNA is killer? What finish/woods etc. Do you ave pics?
  5. Check out the Thomastik-Infeld Power Bass Series strings.

Powerbass Series

Or maybe the Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Round Series.

Jazz Round Series

6. Yeah bustinjustin its a totally killer bass!! Im loving it. I had a few problems with the power of the preamp but im solving them now and it sounds great!! I bought some dr hi-beams so i'll let you know how i get on. Im thinking of getting another warwick, perhaps a thumb. How do you rate them? Ive heard the bottom end is unmatched? I got the natural oil finish maple by the way looks great-i love it. Thanx for the advice.
  7. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Well I love my thumb... but it's a custom (wood combo and frt brd). Nothing else comes close as far as the growl...except maybe the FNA.

Never tried a neck through that I loved, so bolt on is my choice accross the board...except for the dolphin and infinity.

Good Thumbs are hard to come by, so you need to play as many as you can.

BTW... no neck dive, very thin, fast neck...but these are qualities you MUST search for...

good luck

in addition, i second treena's suggestion, but IMHO hi beams suit the "sound of wood" better. IMHOIMHOIMHOIMHO! :bassist:
  8. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    If you're not using SIT's, you're wrong!!! :D
    Seriously, it may not be your strings, per se. You could be hitting the p'ups when you play. Check your action and setup.