Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need string reccomendation (especially from modulus quantum users/owners)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Hey,

I just bought a Quantum five w/ barts pickups and 3 band pre-amp. It has a composite board, maple top, etc...

Now I am looking for the perfect string combo to get the sound I'm looking for. To start out, I'll tell you that it came (used) strung with fodera nickelplated strings (diamond series I presume...), which seem to be a medium-lite guage from what I can tell. My complaint with them is that they sound a bit thin to me (maybe because they are a lighter guage from what I can tell).

So here's what I'm looking for:
    I'd prefer to stick close to the guage that come stock on a quantum (45-65-85-105-130), and I'm thinking it'd be best to go with nickel plated strings because I'd like to refrain from chewing up the frets on this bass.

As for sound, I hardly (if ever) play with a pick. I play all finger style with a good amount of slap. I like a good full, even sound for my fingerstyle tone. Something very punchy and cutting with really strong bottom end and mids and very full sounding, crisp highs (I hate when the G sounds very thin and airy compared to other strings...which is what I mean I want to stray from when I say 'full highs'...that being said, I don't like it when they sound too rounded where there's no snap to them). For my slap tone (and fingertsyle as well), I want really crisp, clear, articulate, full highs, with solid mids and good low end. I really like a punchy tone, and I am not afraid to say that treble is my friend as long as the low end is present. For slapping, I'd say the best comparison for the tone I'd liek would be Mike Gordon from Phish (especially his tone from 97-00). I put some clips of his slap playing below to give an idea of what I want.

As far as my musical styles/genres are concerned, I play mostly rock, funk and progressive/jamband type stuff.

All I ask is that if you can give any reccomendations or know something that might fit what I'm looking for, PLEASE give me any detail you can about the strings/their characteristics, sound, guages, construction, etc...

Thanks a ton in advance
    Graham

Tweezer clip

Ghost clip

Wolfman's Brother clip

Birds of a Feather clip

For some reason teh direct link didn't work, so these clips will take you to the site and just click on the song name that I had on teh clip link to hear the sample

2. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Try a set of GHS Progressives. Made of "Alloy 52", a sort of
    half way house between stainless and nickel rounds. Bright,
    but not too bright or "airy" as you say. Easier on the fretwork
    than stainless (a la Rotosound,) with a good solid bottom end,
    smooth mids, and not too many high-end overtones. I think
    you might like them.

Cheers,
    Slug

3. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to read up on them and check them out...

I guess I should ask, how much damage do stainless strings really do on the frets? I used stainless strings on my old MIM deluxe jazz, but now that I've got a HQ instrument, I'd liek to do what I can to preserve it. Then again, the more I think about it, my purpose was to get the tone I'm looking for, so if it can't be aquired w/o steel strings, I suppose I could use them.

4. zcwilkes

zcwilkes Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Barboursville, WV
    I use DR Low-Riders on my Modulus in the exact guage you discribed and I love them. I'm pretty sure they come in nickel too. I used Rotosounds for 14 years and they ate the living crap out of the frets on my Spector, but of course thats years of wear.