Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need String Recommendation for fretless

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by pburress, Nov 7, 2005.

1. pburress

pburress

Nov 7, 2005
    I am building a fretless p-bass and am wondering what type of strings are recommended. Do fretless basses generally use flatwounds or anything like that?

FYI, I play the upright and haven't played an electric much the past few years. I play blues, jazz and bluegrass.

All input is appreciated! Thanks,

Phil

2. I have a fretted MIM-P with TI Jazz Flats and a DiMarzio Will Power Middle pickup.

My bass sounds VERY "woody" for lack of a better term... I'm nearly certain it is the TI Flats making the majority of this tone.

I'm planning shortly to swap necsk and make my P fretless. I have a feeling with the TI flats it will do the "upright" sound pretty well.

3. If you're looking for a very 'upright-like' tone, flats are the way to go; if the singing 'mwah' of typical fretless bass guitar is what you're after, I'd suggest roundwounds. Depending on your fingerboard material, rounds can scratch & eventually damage the surface- one reason some go flat.

4. pburress

pburress

Nov 7, 2005
    Thanks, sounds like flatwound is the sound for me. Now with this info, I can see what the local music shop has in stock!