Need String Recommendation for fretless

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by pburress, Nov 7, 2005.

1. pburress

Nov 7, 2005
    I am building a fretless p-bass and am wondering what type of strings are recommended. Do fretless basses generally use flatwounds or anything like that?

FYI, I play the upright and haven't played an electric much the past few years. I play blues, jazz and bluegrass.

All input is appreciated! Thanks,

2. I have a fretted MIM-P with TI Jazz flats and a DiMarzio Will Power Middle pickup.

My bass sounds VERY "woody" for lack of a better term... I'm nearly certain it is the TI Flats making the majority of this tone.

I'm planning shortly to swap necsk and make my P fretless. I have a feeling with the TI Flats it will do the "upright" sound pretty well.
  3. If you're looking for a very 'upright-like' tone, flats are the way to go; if the singing 'mwah' of typical fretless bass guitar is what you're after, I'd suggest roundwounds. Depending on your fingerboard material, rounds can scratch & eventually damage the surface- one reason some go flat.
  4. pburress

Nov 7, 2005
    Thanks, sounds like flatwound is the sound for me. Now with this info, I can see what the local music shop has in stock!