Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need string recommendation

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sascrotch, Apr 7, 2001.

1. Sascrotch

Sascrotch

Feb 18, 2001
    Costa Mesa, CA
    I need strings for my P bass and i want the sound like Old Metallica (seek and destrot) and maybe like the newer Misfits. So a kind of punk hard rock sound. I heard DR's are good. And could you tell me the gauge too because i have no clue which one i should get.

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I'm not familiar with the sound you're searching, but "punk hard rock sound" makes me think "stainless steel strings".

As for gagues... what gague do you currently have? Do you like it? If you do, keep it! :)
    In case you don't know the gague, 40-60-75-95 up to 45-65-85-105 are common ones. If you play with a hard attack (and/or with a pick?), you may need one of the higher/thicker gagues.

Finding your favourite string takes years, and it's important to keep in mind that you by following other people's recommendations get to play THEIR favourite strings, not your! :) But I know, you have to begin somewhere, and DRs are very good strings. Try them. But there's a jungle out there with lots of other good strings, so there might always be some model you will like better!

Whatever you do, please avoid the following three string sets: GHS Bass Boomers, Warwick Red Label and Trace Elliot (if they still make them). I've had them and I hated them. I know I'm not alone. Simply low quality strings in both sound and construction.
    And I haven't heard a single good word about Carvin strings either.

Happy hunting!

3. Oysterman:
    Couldn't agree with you more about Carvin strings- they SUCK! I love my LB75F, but the first thing I did when I got it was change the strings (Ken Smith Lights). I used to like Boomers, but somewhere along the line either they, or my tastes, changed.

4. jpontell

jpontell

Apr 8, 2001
    Hollywood, CA
    Sascrotch:
    Roundwound steel strings played with medium to heavy picks will contribute to that hard punk bass sound. I agree with Oysterman's reccomendation of DR strings. DR "Hi-Beams" are bright sounding stainless steel strings. A gauge like 45-65-85-105 is a good starting place, ultimately the best solution is to try a few different brands and gauges and stick with what you like.
    Interesting note: both of the players whose sounds you are describing (Cliff Burton and Jerry Only) played Rickenbackers with roundwound steel strings. Your P-Bass has a more common hard punk-bass sound.

5. yeah follow oysterman and dont get GHS boomers. while they had a good sound for like 3 days, after those 3 days they were deader than dead (if thats even possible). they die quick and arent worth it. personally i use ernie ball hybrid slinkys.