1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need String Recommendation

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mrjim123, Sep 4, 2008.

1. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    (Also posted in Basses forum).

I bought a new G&L Tribute L-2000 last week (34" scale, 4-string). I love the tone options, but I find that, overall, the tone is just a little too bright. The stock strings are D'Addario rounds. I want to tame the beast a little with some new strings, probably flatwounds.

I've always played light guage (40-95 or 45-100) rounds and am looking for a set of strings with roughly equal tension. I also want to retain just a little of the brightness of the rounds, so I'm thinking a set of flats a little on the bright side might be the answer, but I definitely want the smooth, fat flatwound sound.

From what I've read, D'Addario Chrome flats have a bright sound, as far as flats go, but they have a high string tension. Thomastiks tend to be "floppy" (is that floppy compared even to rounds, or just compared to other flats?). I didn't find much about the string tension of LaBella Deep Talkin' flats.

So, I'm open to suggestions.

2. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    I've never noticed the Thomastik flatwounds to be particularly "floppy" and they are mellower than roundwounds without being too mellow. I'd give them a shot.

Also, the heavier gauge you get, the tighter the strings will be, regardless of the brand.

3. mrjim123

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    I'd love to try a set of TI jazz flats, but I'm not sure if I want to shell out the $50+ to try them. If I'm lucky I'll find a bass strung with TI flats in a store somewhere, but that's probably a tall order.

4. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    TI Superalloys or let the DAs wear in.

5. I though G&L came with SIT Powerwounds? - thats what it says at they're site. Warm & bright strings.

6. mrjim123

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    Where on their site did you find that?

7. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    +1. I have my Trib. L 2000 strung with TI Jazz flats and they sound great (IMO of course :) ). I agree with the above, that they are bright for flats, yet have a warm mellow sound. The low tension is not for everyone though. While they are expensive, they are worth it IMO as they retain their great tone for years. I've read here of some people having them on (still sounding great) for up to ten years. Now that's not expensive. ;)

8. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland

They used to come strung with SIT's alright. A year or two ago they changed to Daddario's (EXL 165's I think).

http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/faq.php3#Q16

9. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    I have an L-2000E strung with TI flats which tame it perfectly while still allowing the bass to be versatile. I do not find TI flats to be floppy or expensive. If you pay $50 for them (which I never have) and they last 5-10 years that's a good value. If you don't like them, sell them on the classfieds for bout $35. Worth the risk-try TI's.

10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

Ken Smith "Compressors"

Brighter than flats.
    Darker, and deeper, than rounds.

11. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    Yep, the one drawback that I've found with TI's, they practically murder your pocketbook (hope you never need them for a six-string fretless).

12. mrjim123

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    Thanks everybody. I think I'll try the TIs.

Have any of you found that with TIs you prefer a larger guage than you would with another brand of flats?