1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need strings for a fretless 6er

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Madness, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Madness

Madness

Jul 27, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I have a 6er that I'm looking to convert to a 6 stringer, a Washburn Xb-600 from 98. I have never played a fretless, but I hear Flatwound is pretty much the standard. Any thoughts?

2. carvin.com flatwounds for cheap-o

3. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I don't think flatwounds are standard... unless you're talkin upright. To me nothing sounds better than roundwounds on a fretless. I use DR Subbeams on mine.

4. Madness

Madness

Jul 27, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Pardon my ignorance, but what's the difference between Flat and Round?

5. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Round is where there's round wire wrapped around the core. The end result is like little grooves in the string. Flats can be made different ways but usually the outside surface is ground flat, so it's smooth to the touch. Check out a string manufacturer's web site. They will probably have pictures which make it easier to understand.

Roundwounds tend to put more wear into a fingerboard, which is why some people don't like them on fretless. But most fingerboards are pretty hard and will last a long long time without needing surfacing. Rounds also tend to give a growlier tone to a fretless while flats will have more of that upright sound.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    DR Sunbeams here too. Excellent string for fretless IME. SIT Nickel rounds are nice as well, along with Ken Smith Burner NPS Nickel rounds.

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Dr's or TI's

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1

9. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    To find out if you like roundwounds, you might try a set of Vinci nickel rounds which are DIRT cheap (like $15 for a set of 6). They don't last all that long (though you can refresh them somewhat by boiling on soapy water), but you'll know pretty quick if you like 'em and you haven't bvblown the bank on the experiment.

Cheap flats are another story entirely... I don't play flats so I don't know that market.

btw do you know what sound you are actually after?

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    As if you don't already have enough options to ponder, I personally really like nylon tapewound strings on my 6 string fretless. LaBella makes a set of their nylon tapewound "Deep Talkin' Bass" strings in six strings and I'm a big fan.

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    For fretless the nickel version of Fodera Diamond strings are definitely my favorite followed by DR Sunbeams. Rounds are used far more often when it comes to the typified fretless tone. Steve Lawson's one of the few guys I've seen that uses flatwounds and still gets the long sustained mwah that is usually attained with rounds.

12. Try a set of Status flats, they really sound great.
    I'm a convertee to flats, having used roundwounds for over 20 years.
    I have to use double ball ends owing to the headless nature of my Sei 6er, I tried some TI flats but couldn't get the strings anchored in the nut. The Status strings give a really great mwhaa sound, they have a really nice tension , I don't like very tight strings

13. bigd4207

bigd4207

Apr 28, 2006
    In the clouds
    I prefer EB flats, or nylon wound fenders. The nylon filament rounds are what I use, they are sanded flat so you get the feel of a flatwound with the brightness of a round, still more mellow than traditional rounds though. Fender SS flats are good too.

14. mlbarlow

mlbarlow

Apr 26, 2005
    Plattsburgh, NY
    +1 on the labella tapewounds ... i've got 'em on my 5 fretless

15. Hey Phil -

Where do you get these? Been looking on sites and find sets for 4 and 5 (actually a 4 + buy the B), but it's time to change the D'Addario flatwounds on the fretless (had to put that together myself to get the gauges I wanted). Thanks for any help you can offer.

Z

16. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I bought them at the online string shop which is in a sticky thread at the top of the very Talkbass Strings forum you're reading right now!:smug: