1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need strings for Fender J Bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by thesooze, Jun 13, 2012.

1. thesooze

thesooze

Jun 2, 2012
    I play mostly indie rock and praise and worship at church. Need a good set of strings for my new Road Worn J bass. Just a good general set of strings. Probably wound. Thanks!

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Have you tried searching for any of the numerous identical thread questions on TB?

3. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Go to the string section at GC. Close your eyes and randomly point somewhere. Buy whatever you're pointing at.

4. Pilgrim

As a side note, all strings are wound.

Some flat, some round, some tape.

5. ghostrider

ghostrider

Jun 12, 2010
    Go with Ernie ball hybrid slinkies (.45-.105). They are durable and sound great.

6. What sound is it in particular you are looking for?

That is one way to start and could help your decision. I'm sure there will be some other folks that would chime in with some suggestions if you can be more specific. Strings cover a wide range of sounds available.

I have Rotosound 66's on my Geddy, and I do like the sound out of them. They were the first rounds I have tried in awhile and I have been pleased. I did however just buy some TI Jazz Flats because I had the cash and always wanted to try them, so take my advice for what it is worth.

Also, check out bassstringsonline.com. The owner is a member here and you can get some pretty good discounts if you sign up and create an account over there.

http://www.bassstringsonline.com/

7. Samo_B

Samo_B

Jun 6, 2012
    Fort Worth
    I just switched to R.Cocco. I have been playing DR for years but these Coccos sound unbelievable on my Sadowsky jazz. I also mainly play worship/christian and these strings show up great live and in the studio!

8. jbailes

jbailes

Apr 5, 2012
    I would suggest DR nickel low riders. Based on the kind of bass you have and the woods that its made of, NLRs would project a beautiful, multi dimensional tone for praise/worship music.

9. thesooze

thesooze

Jun 2, 2012
    Dang some pretty harsh responses!! I'm new to bass and was just checking out this forum for some information... Sorry for asking a question!

To those who answered my actual question, thanks! I'll check those out.

10. BillySid

BillySid Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Weatherford, TX
    Yea the " do a search" responses are ridiculous on here.

11. TimB 619

TimB 619 Guest

May 28, 2010
    D'addario XL nickels

12. For Fender....hmmm...Fender 7250 nickel strings... good price, good quality ;)

13. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

May 1, 2011
    I'd say start with GHS Bass Boomers and go from there. Pretty cheap and middle of the road. If you find them lacking anything it will be a clue as to where to go next

14. bassdog

bassdog

May 23, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga
    "Dang some pretty harsh responses!!"

Some folks here just want to be critical and not helpful. Don't know what's up with that.

I am really liking the D'Addario nickle round wounds on my J. Not particularly expensive and lots of peeps use them.

Bob

15. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    This is actually almost exactly what I was going to say.

16. DR!!!

no....

Rotosound!!!!

no....

Ernieball!!!!

no....

Labella!!!!

no...

Sadowsky!!!

no....

DR!!!!

17. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    I've got a set of DR Fat Beams on my Jazz bass. For me and for that particular bass they work very well.

If you're that new to bass you're going to find that some experimentation (and some money!) may be needed when trying to find the right set of strings for your bass and for you.

Example: I have a Squire Affinty P, put a set of DR Lo-Riders on and they're perfect. A bit on the stiff side but not overly so. I like them like that. Thought I'd try the same on my MIJ P bass....not so good. For what ever reason the D and G strings were way too stiff to the point of being uncomfortable.

So just keep in mind that what may work great for one person and for thier bass may or may not work for you.

Happy hunting!

(Yeah.......some people go WAY overboard with the "do a search" response.) I find it silly.

18. You'll quickly find that the TB community is quite snarky.

Personally, I use Ernie Ball Super Slinky's on my jazz. I've always loved their sound, my one complaint is that they go dead fast though. Which might just be because I'm a sweaty person. I think I might try out the new Cobalt Slinky's, they're supposed to last longer.

19. Pilgrim