Need Strings HELP

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jacob Maltbie, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Hey all,
    I was wondering what strings are the best for a 1962 Fender American Jazz Bass.
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    There is no answer to this question. There are hundreds, maybe thousands of different strings on the market, and each one is probably thought to be the "best" by someone.

Is your bass a Vintage '62 Reissue? If so, you might try using the strings it came with. Check the Fender website for specs. If it's actually a 1962 Fender, you might want to avoid stainless roundwounds as they have a reputation for being hard on frets.

It's also hard to make a recommendation without knowing the type of music you play, whether you're looking for a thumpy sound or a brighter sound, and whether you play slap, fingerstyle, pickstyle, all three, or some other method.

If you give more details, we will be able to help better.
  3. Thanks Flatwound,
    I'm not sure if it is a 1962 reissue but I play slap, and fingerstyle.Well could you recommend something. If I haven't given you enough info please let me know.
  4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    OK. I'm not much of a slapper, but most slap guys use roundwounds. For instance, Victor Wooten uses Fodera nickelF roundwounds, and Marcus Miller uses his signature DR's. Labella makes a string called "Slappers" which are nickel roundwounds. A LaBella rep told me that they have a warm fingerstyle tone as well, so they may be worth a try.

Price is another consideration. DR's are fairly expensive compared to, say, Ernie Ball Slinkys. Both are good strings, but they're different. Having said that, here's a short list of strings you might find suitable:

Lo- to mid-priced:
    >GHS boomers (nickel roundwounds; I like them)
    >Ernie Ball Slinkys (nickel roundwounds; popular)
    >Dean Markley NickelSteel (Nickel roundwounds)
    >Everly Rockers (nickel roundwound)
    >D'Addario XL's (nickel roundwound)
    >Fender 7250's (nickel roundwound)

Somewhat higher priced:
    >D'Addario Slowound (nickel roundwound)
    >Dean Markley Blue Steel (stainless or nickel roundwound)
    >DR Hi-Beams, Lo-Riders and Fat Beams (stainless roundwound)
    >Fodera Victor Wooten Signature (nickel roundwound

There are many, many other good strings on the market. I've tried a lot of the strings on this list, and while they're all good, I lean toward the GHS Boomers, maybe in .040-.100 or .045-.105 for the playing you describe. The lighter ones would probably be better for slap. You might want to get the gauge you are using now so that you would hopefully not have to adjust the truss rod.

Hope this helps.