Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need suggestion on my first "rig"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joeyang761020, May 2, 2005.

1. Hello, guys...
    I have recently realized my bassman 100 combo can't serve my need any more. I've starting giging pretty constanly, so the 100 watt little thing can't keep up with two 100 watt Marshall combos. So I have decide to work over the summer for two months straight, so hopefully I can raised close to 1200 USD. So I basically need some suggestions for amps and cabs that's load, cheap, good-quiliaty. BTW, I play mostly punk/rock, so I need something with aggressive tone that would cut through. I am not specifically looking into any brand? But I just need some suggestion.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Keep reading TalkBass as you save up and you'll certainly form opinions.

Try out lots and lots of different gear.

Look for good used gear, your money will go much farther. Look for good quality gear...cheap gear will wear out/blow up long before good gear will saving you money in the long run.

As far as top quality, budget priced new cabinets go, you can't beat Avatar www.avatarspeakers.com. Available new only direct from Dave at Avatar or from Dave on eBay for a few bux less or used from just about anywhere.

A 2x10 and a 1x15 would serve you well. Buy an amp with as much power as you can afford...you can't have enough power!!!!

You really need to try out many different brands of amps to find the tone that suits you best...it's really about you finding the sound that you're happy with...not necessarily what we say sounds good.

Good luck!!!

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    boy billy sure summed it up good.

i'm guessing you will need at least some tens to be happy if you are playing punk style rock (although some fifteens and twelves will give you quite the punk sound for sure)

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Ashdown or Eden with Schroeder, SWR, Eden, Aguilar, or Bergantino cabs.

5. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I'm looking at getting an all new rig for $990. An amp from SMASH here on TB and a new Avatar 410PRO

Serious power and low end handling.

Search around, read our horror stories and don't take anything too personally on here if we dig into you to get more information on how to help you decide on your purchases.

Check the TB classifides for cheap used gear, more often than not the pieces have been babied like you would like them to be when buying used.

Some quick head ideas:
    Peavey Firebass 700 (700 watts into 2Ohms)
    Kustom Groove Bass has been storming the bang for the buck front.
    If you are looking for new then look at Ashdown's MAG series and some Ampeg's

Used:
    The sky is the limit. You never know what you can find for dirt cheap. The last 2 heads I bought used didn't go over $250.

6. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Any second now a vast chorus will chime in shouting "Kustom Groovebass"....3, 2, 1....

7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Avatar 212, paired with an Avatar 210 or 410 will set you up quite well for cabs. You really can't beat the value, and getting the Avatars will free up cash for a decent amp.

Amp is a more difficult question. You could look into an Ashdown, or get something used, but if you REALLY want to rock out with tremendous headroom, get a power amp and a separate preamp; that option will give you as much power as you'll ever need; the extra headroom will make your cabinets happy.

Here's the rig I'd set up for punk/rock:
    QSC PLX 1602 (1100 watts @ 8 ohms, 1600 watts @ 4 ohms :D :D :D ): <$500 used
    cheap bass preamp (Peavey Max)?: $150.

You could upgrade as you saw fit, but you wouldn't ever be caught wanting more power any time soon. :D

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If hes only against Marshall combos (thank god its not half stacks) I think he should go with the 212 for now and get an awesome preamp. You can add another cab, but the preamp is what determines your sound.

9. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Hhehehe, I'm not even going here. Nuff great things have been said already.... :D :smug: :eek:

10. +1 on the peavey firebass, ive got mine running into a 4ohm 4x10 cab, very nice, very loud, i think it does better than my svt II at low volumes too