1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

need suggestions: acoustic bass guitar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cloren, Mar 2, 2008.

1. cloren

cloren

Nov 15, 2007
    san francisco
    A group I'm with will most likely be playing a lot of acoustic sets in the next few months.

anyone have any suggestions on acoustic 4 string bass guitars?

I'm thinkin I may want to get an unlined fretless, but i'm open to suggestions

thanks!

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    So, have you read any of the previous threads on the subject?

3. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Maybe a very small amp instead.

4. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    This subject has come up many, many, many times in the past – as in, the same thread gets posted four or five times a month – so it is likely that people will be a bit resistant to answering your questions.

Here is the short, summarized version of all those threads:

No acoustic bass guitar is going to output the volume that is required to compete with an ensemble. It's a matter of physics, and there is no way of getting around it. To be heard with an ensemble, you will need to use an amplifier.

So you have the choice of either using an electric bass (along with a small amp) or using an electric-acoustic bass (also, along with a small amp).

I personally like Tacoma acoustic bass guitars (hereafter referred to as an "ABG"). In my experience, they are the best sounding, best playing, and loudest ABG. They are a bit expensive, but they make a lower priced version called "Olympia". I haven't tried an Olympia, but people seem to like them.

Other names that often come up are Michael Kelly, Martin, Dean, and Washburn.

5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I also keep posting this but it is worth repeating.

I bought a Morgan Monroe ABG recently and it can be heard fine (pickstyle) over 2 guitars. It has a very large body and projects better than any Michael Kelly, Martin or Taylor IMO.

They seem to be available quite often on eBay new for under $500.

I love mine and I tried about a dozen before buying the MM.

6. bickele

bickele

Dec 29, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    If you want to play acoustic, no amp and no PA, I would get into upright bass ASAP!
    I have a Tacoma Thunderchief 5 fretless and really love it. I gig a lot with it but always through a PA.
    For the acoustic gigs I stick to upright.

b.

7. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    The only ABG's I've owned were two Epiphone El Capitans and a Godin A4. Of the 3, I liked the Godin the best, although the El Capitans were much better looking!