Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need suggestions for 5-string...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DLM, May 25, 2004.

1. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    I've been playing my '76 Fender P-Bass (with P/J Basslines pickup configuration and maple neck) for over 22 years. This bass is warm and great for fingerstyle but I can't get a great tone for popping/slapping and the tone easily gets lost in the mix.

I'm hoping you can suggest some hi-quality 5-strings that have ALL of the following criteria (not in order of importance):
    - physically good for slapping/popping
    - possesses a "signature" tone different from my Fender
    - stands out in the mix
    - 24 frets
    - non-maple fretboard
    - active electronics
    - good, solid B-string

I'm essentially looking to find a bass that is completely opposite of my Fender (which I will keep).

My price limit is $3,000 or under. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks!

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Id check out the Warwick thumb. Bolt on or neck through, slappers delight.

3. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Two words: DING WALL.

Kidding, that's one word. Dingwall.
    I miss mine terribly but my little fingers just couldn't do the long scale. Everything you asked for, plus the Novax fanned frets. Even the passive model's unreal. Talk to Gard at BassCentral about this. Tell him I sent you.

4. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Laklands are good basses for the Money. But I am somewhat unhappy with my Slapping sound on it, its probably just me, but I dont like slapping on it. I would suggest a Peavey Cirrus... I cant really tell you anymore because he havent stated what kind of music you want to play with it, or how much you have to spend, cuz I could reccomend a great bass for $5,000 ya know...

5. That's onehelluva price limit! Your options are highly varied. CLICK HERE for a local (to me) shop that has a pretty good selection of boutique basses.

The Elricks call to me and are way different than Fender...but at $3000, most everything is going to be the complete opposite of your fender. If you can get a Used MTD 535, that's a killer bass. Zon Sonus' are pretty sweet, as well as Modulus'. Maybe you should consider Graphite necks as a sure-fire way to buck the Fender funk you're in.

Other ones:
    Ken Lawrence - used
    Roscoe
    Benavente
    Hanewinckel
    Spector
    Warwick

All good quality pieces, all can be had either new or used for what you're looking for.

psst: I'm selling a 6 string Carvin BB76P which is bipolar to Fender...for much less than three grand. :ninja:

6. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I didnt see the price there...

MTD
    Roscoe
    Nordstrand (Custom)
    Elrick (Custom)
    F bass (BN5)
    Zon
    Alembic
    Modulus
    Benavente
    Dingwall

And many more, let me think...

7. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Definitely Warwick or a Modulus Q5.

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I second Modulus. I'm a former Modulus owner and those basses have all of he things you are looking for. Modulus tome cuts like a knife and sustains like crazy. It has a killer B-string and a full twenty-four frets. I know the price has gone up, but there are places like McMurray Music in St. Louis County, Missouri that has new ones for under $2,000. If I had a bigger bass budget, I would get one myself.

9. just a comment:

I'd say F bass but the BN5 does not come with 24 frets, you have to special order that option and it is something like an extra $1000, which is not really worth it to me.

there have been many great suggestions, I really dig the Benavente basses I have been seeing.

10. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    spector.

11. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

I would highly recommend a Ken Lawrence Brase - that's my current favorite. A close second would be an MTD 535.

Dan K.

12. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    With your price limit you can by one hell of a bass custom made to your specs. Try many of the suggestions listed above and contact some of the luthiers and and tell them exactly what you are looking for, they will then be able to help you make the wood, pickup and preamp selection to get the tone you are looking for. Make up a list of everything you want and write down all your questions before calling them and take notes when talking to everyone you call. This way, you will be sure to get all the info you were looking for and you can then compare what everyone tells you. Remember, as we bass players desire a certain tone and have different opinions on that subject, so will the luthiers.

Take your time when deciding and don't jump into anything too quickly. Play as many basses as you can and think about buying a used bass. High end instruments aren't worth crap after you get them so if you don't like it and decide to sell it, you will lose your shorts.

I would shoot an e-mail to Adrian @ accessbass.com He has had much first-hand playing experience with many of the basses discussed in earlier posts.

Good luck.

13. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    I'm not looking for anything exotic, but just a good working bass. If any of you who've previously replied are reading this, would it be possible for you to list specific models (within brands) you suggest? On some of the suggestions posted, a manufacturer can have a myriad of models that might be more or less of what I should look for.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. Now, it's just a matter of getting out there and playing as many basses as I can.

14. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Stingray 5, you can buy one used and buy something else to play with on the side!!! :D

15. MTD 535
    Elrick Classic 5 or Platinum/Gold series
    Elrick E-Volution
    Elrick New Jazz Standard
    Zon Sonus 5
    Modulus Quantum 5
    Modulus Flea Bass 5
    Benavente Vortex 5
    Benavente 219B Neck-Thru 5
    Hanewinckel Pro or Artist series 5 - in many different bodies
    Spector Euro5 LX
    Warwick Streamer Stage II 5
    Warwick Bleach Blonde Thumb 5

Carvin BB76P - Used, in great condition, I could probably let it go for 3 grand. Comes with a tweed case. :smug:

16. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    The sound in your head is in this bass....

MODULUS Q5

17. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy
    i would check some wals... they are quite complete sounding basses in my opinion

18. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    Last May, I asked for suggestions for some good quality 5-strings and so I wanted to give you a status report. Many of you provided excellent referrals (thank you once again) and after trying out more than a handful of basses and talking to some luthiers and TB'rs, my search ended when I demo'd Pete Hanewinckel's basses. The balance, fit & finish, tone, neck shape, etc. more than sold me.

I didn't order anything fancy, but some of the specs are:

7-piece maple/wenge neck
    Magassar ebony fretboard
    Ash "Reactor" body w/ flamed maple top stained burnt orange
    Chrome hardware and "wide" (19mm) string spacing
    Mother of pearl headstock and side neck inlays

I can't wait to see, and finally play, the final product. However, I can attest to this whole custom bass process as being a smooth one as Pete is great to work with. It's amazing to witness a true artisan and master craftsman who LOVES what he does!

Again, thanks for your help. I would have never imagined going the route of getting a bass custom-made, but after seeing and hearing Pete Hanewinckel's basses, I have no doubts this was the best route to go.

If I ever learn how to post pics, I'll surely do so once my bass is finished!

19. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Congrats on the new bass!!! :hyper: