1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need suggestions for a cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MycooLeeyun, May 1, 2010.

1. Hey everyone, I just bought a GK700rbii amp off of musicians friend ( http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gallien-Krueger-700RBII-Bass-Head?sku=482587 ). I am now on the search for a cab to go along with it. This is my first real amp and don't have any knowledge on how to match amps up with different cabs. I play in an alternative rock band where my bass lines are meant to be heard and aren't just riding the root notes. I play on a SR5 and would like an amp that could produce a well defined bass tone. (I hate when it sounds muddy). I don't know if I should be looking at 10's or 12's or what. I also don't know what wattage I should be looking for in terms of the cab. I'd appreciate some suggestions. I was looking into the GK Neo cabs because of the light weight and the matching brands would be cool. Can anybody help? Thanks

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The GK Neo cabs would be a great match. Consider an 8 ohm 4x10, for starters, and add a 2nd one later, if you need it.

3. Lurker79

Lurker79

Jul 3, 2008
    Hayward, CA
    4x10 8ohm, you're gonna get that vote a lot.

4. the GK neo 410 are made to handle 800 watts, won't I be underpowering the thing, or does that not matter? Can anybody do a quick explanation on the whole "ohm" thing. I kind of understand it, but it's not clear to me.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    First, there's no such thing as "underpowering". Seriously. And the cab's "ohm" rating is derived from the combination of drivers in the cab, and how they're wired. Typically, bass cabs are either 8 ohms, or 4 ohms. Most heads, (yours included), can only go as low as 4 ohms. So, ONE 4 ohm cab, or TWO 8 ohm cabs.

6. Cool, thanks RickenBoogie. I read on another post once about somebody saying that underpowering a cabinet is worse than overpowering it, I guess I shouldn't believe everything I read. Thanks a lot for that ohm explanation, that makes sense now. So I'm better off going with an 8ohm cab so i can potentially add another? It sounds like the GK neo 4x10 is what I'm looking at.

7. he may have meant that driving a head into clipping can be a problem

8. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    I'd suggest your also checking out Avatar cabinets.
    Great, inexpensive bass cabinets.
    www.avatarspeakers.com

9. James Judson

James Judson

Jul 16, 2009
    Match ohms to save the amp. An impedance mismatch causes the amp to work to hard with possibly bad results (repair bills).

Match watts to save speakers (pumping 500 watts into a 100 watt speaker can result in repair bills).

Your best bet is read the manufactures recommendations.

A bass players job is to rattle windows. I (like you) want my bass lines heard. I use 10 inch speakers. The more the better.

10. Awesome! Thanks for the suggestions. Those avatar cabs look really nice. I guess I'm looking at both the GK neo series and the avatar cabs at this point, both 4x10's at 8ohms. Thanks again guys.

11. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    I have a old G.K. 800 head and a new G.K. MB2-500 head.
    My Avatar cabinets play very well with G.K. heads.
    I'm very happy with Avatar bass cabinets.

12. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    I ran a 700rbII for a long time thru 2 Avatar SB112 cabs. I got tons of compliments. I liked being able to use one cab for smaller gigs , and the pair stacked for larger gigs. I never ever had to run my master past 11:00. Even outside. Thats what the great onboard D.I. is for.

13. Check out the GK 212 neo, I use one with my GK1001RBII and it puts out a nice crisp tone on both the highs and lows. It's actually a bit too crisp and clear for my tastes, but definitely worth checking out.

14. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Either two 8 ohm Eden 2x10 XLT or XST or the 4x10 version of either.

15. Awesome suggestions, thank you everyone. I will consider those eden cabs as well. For now, I'm trying to save up some money to grab one of these cabs up. Thanks for the input, keep it coming if you can :cool:

16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 Not only do GK cabs match up well, tonally, with GK heads, but the bi-amp option really works well, and is a sweet feature. I have to admit to not being too excited about this feature until I got a full GK rig out on a gig. Previously, I figured with tweeter attenuators, there was no real need for a separate tweeter amplifier. But if you like to push your drivers into a bit of overdrive, the ability to keep your tweeter nice and clean is hella cool.

Tom.

17. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I would Say Go With an 8 ohm 410 as well. It just Frees you up and gives you soo mean options ..whether you want to run another 410 or a 115 or even and 118...or hell just what ever crazy combo you feel like trying out!! I myself Run 2 SWR Goliath 410's with My Gk 1001rbII Head and Love Them....No problem being herd or felt...pure Bliss!!...As for the option of using GK cabs because they have the bi-amp feature for the horns...well that is totally up to you as a player and what you want....i have used both and as you can tell i dont use it now....never found much a difference for what i do i just use the passive horn control on the back of the cab...add just enough for what a want... and all is good... But yeah different strokes for different Folks!!... I am sure no matter what cab you run with that Head you will be very very happy!!!... By far IMO GK Makes the best sounding heads out there.....and They Dont have a million and a half knobs that most of us who are not sound engineers will ever be able to use to their full extent!!...GK Is Just Strait Up Pure Power With the perfect Mix a Eq to do just about anything and get any sound that your ears Desire's!!!Best Of Luck Mate!!!

18. I think the watt rating for speakers is confusing and kind of misleading. You dont want to match watt ratings to the output of your amp. That is a bad idea actually. If you have a 400 watt amp and 400 watt cabinet you can easily blow that cabinet!
    It is best to have a cab that has a higher rating than the output of your amp.
    After all my amp, which is only 225 (tube)watts or so can easily blow a 400 watt cab.

In a perfect world cabs would be rated for thermal dissipation not watts. Or for watts of pink noise for a realistic duration, like 2 hours. not 33 milliseconds
    EIA watts are unrealistic. IEC watts are a bit better.
    I would go for a GK that is compatible with the biamp wiring feature of your head. Not all GK cabs are, so check beforehand!
    Their 2x12 cabs that I have tried sound good. I am not a fan of their cheaper backline and BLX models though. they are low sensitivity and not very present sounding.

19. Wow, thanks for all of this information. I am clear on how the ohms and watt rating for speakers work now, but what I don't understand are the tweeters/biamp feature some of you are talking about. It still looks like I'm going with a 4x10 cab, either GK, Avatar or maybe a used Eden.

20. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    GK heads (not counting the MB's) usually include an "extra" 50-watt amp for the tweeter only. You have to run a special speaker cable (which usually comes with a GK head) and you have to use a GK cab (in bi-amp mode), but it lets you drive the main drivers with the primary output section and drive the tweeter(s) with the 50-watt output section (which is more than enough). This allows you to push the main amp to the rails and get some grind going, but keep the tweeter nice and clean.