Need suggestions for cabinet upgrading

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by puppeteering, May 26, 2003.

1. puppeteering

Mar 16, 2000
    Hi all,

I landed a gig with a 5 piece ensemble playing traditional acoustic Moroccan music. Loads of room for tasteful and robust bass, but low end definition is a priority. The bass style varies from a punctuated reggae style to a flowing melodic style, following the vocal line.

I play an active Mike Lull M4V 4 string and an active Fender 4 string Jazz with a Moses fretless neck. Occasional effects, mainly octave, chorus, and compression. I am running an Aguilar DB680 preamp through a QSC PLX series 1202 power amp. The average venues we are currently playing hold between 50 and 250 people, but I feel confident that this average will be steadily increasing, so I prefer room to grow into.

I would prefer to have a mini-rig for ease of portability to practice and for the smaller venues (i.e a 1x10, 1x12, or 2x10), adding a large cab to support the larger clubs (2x12, 4x10, 1x15).

I have a fairly open price range- I am just looking for a good pair of cabinets that give me flexibility and solid bass punch, both singularly and together. I have been out of the touring world for awhile, concentrating on studio session work and engineering full time, so any help I can get is very appreciated.

Thanks for any suggestions!
  2. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    i would say a SWR 2x10 for the snmaller venues, and add a SWR 4x10 for the larger ones. not the workingmans, the goliaths.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    in my humble opinion
    the epifani 212 and the bergantino 322 are two of the coolest cabs out there
    both have really solid low end but i think the epifani might have a bit more
    as a former eden 210xlt user i was blown away comparing mine to the epifani 212 - it had more clarity and focus than my eden and it made the eden sound like a toy
    the aguilar 1x12 probably has the most low end out of the 1x12 cabs but i find it lacks midrange
  4. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    My vote is for the Aguilar GS112. Portability is key to me as sound is. These guys weigh in at around 40lbs. They have a nice balanced sound and are relatively efficient. One sounds good, but two sound even better. I'm sure if you do a search on the Aguilar GS112 you can find plenty of TBers raving about them.