Need suggestions for QUIET AMP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TBASS, Oct 4, 2004.

1. TBASS

Sep 17, 2004
    Tulsa, Ok.
    HELLO EVERYONE (my first post)

I'm trying to find a quiet head to use with an Ampeg BSE115t cabinet. I usually play with acoustic musicians only in living room settings. I play a G&L Legacy Bass. I'm looking for a head of at least 100 watts that is convection cooled (no fan noise) and quiet with good tone, lightweight, and reliable. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    if you can find one, the swr electric blue head is tops (imo)
  3. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    The small Gallien Krueger amps have very quiet fans and it's small and lightweight - maybe usefull ???

Welcome to the world of bass wisdom :)
  4. danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    The Gallien is a little expensive but there is no fan and I know the gallien stuff has very quiet circuitry.
    This is the same head that comes on top of the microbass combo.
    The top of the amp is a large heat sink, there is apparently no need for a fan

5. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Oh yeah - I forgot about those amps. I was thinking about the RB700 and RB1001 but you're right - the mb150 doesn't have a fan and they sound awesome. :)
  6. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

You should consider the Peavey Max 160 (older Deltabass = same thing) head. 100w @ 8ohms & 160w @ 4ohms.

No fans, circuitry is dead quiet (as long as your bass is) and lots of inputs / outputs. PLUS! It's cheap. I got my Deltabass for $185 US nearly two years ago and it's been holding down the low end with a Peavey 115 BVX BW 4 ohm cab. My mates in the worship team talk all the time about the big booty coming out of that little head. It has enough power at only 5 on gain and master to go up against an enthusiastic drummer and amplified guitars.

Lightweight, reliable as a stove, very clean sounding when you don't push it hard. I had to pay 3x as much for a used Ampeg SVT 3 Pro to better the tone of the Peavey in any significant way.

Because I trust the reliability of Peavey, I'm going to keep it as a back-up to the Ampeg.
  7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I would probably look at Acoustic Image first (Clarus or Focus), unless you have Walter Woods-type bucks to spend.
  8. justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Great head-- I've got one and love it. It is quiet-- built for studio recording I think. The EQ is awesome. I think mine weighs something like 11 lbs.
  9. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    How about a Thunderfunk? You can turn the fan off completely and the amp is quiet as can be (until you hit a note). ;)

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You won't find cooling fans in solid state amp heads until you get well over 300 watts.
  11. justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    THere's one in my GK700RB! ;)
  12. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
  13. I have both an SWR Workingman 210 and a SWR Silverado Special that would work well. Both of them are sans fans...
  14. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if there are monitors on stage, just plug in direct with a nice DI box. works fine for me.

if not, then my money's on one of those SWR 1x10 combos. wanna go up the ladder? then the AI stuff is tops. hook it up to a small 1x12 of your choice, and you're good to go.
  15. TBASS

Sep 17, 2004
    Tulsa, Ok.
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I checked out the AI amps on the website and the class D design reminded me to look into the iamp's. The electric blue SWR seems to be only available new in a 10" combo but thats still a possibility. I'm seriously considering the GK MBass.

16. I have the Eden CXC110 combo, which will smoke the little swrs. And when you play out with it, you can run your 15 with it at 300 watts RMS @4 ohms with headroom to spare.

But this is the past pluperfect superlative of the heavy 1x10 combo. 39lbs. It plays down to 37hz and sounds awesome b/c of special circuits. The 15 belongs in the closet. I got my eden new for $550 + shipping.
  17. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Dont forget about the GK 800rb. It is small and can be found used cheap too.