need suggestions for recording DI a tight punchy bass

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by videodrone, Apr 11, 2003.

1. videodrone

Mar 29, 2003
    I have a Sansamp DI, and I was going to record direct and mic at the same time to blend tones,

But Im looking for a nice tight punchy bass tone,

Do you have any suggestions on how to record a tight punchy tone?

for instance, Im guessing I want to compress it alot, any suggestive ratios to compress at?

Also, would that kinda of tone be more easy to et out of an amp or DI?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated!
  2. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Here's something I just tried and liked on a song I'm working on now. I also have a SansAmp Bass Driver (just bought it recently and am still playing with it) but I have no bass amp. I sort of simulated a direct and mic'd configuration like this.

I plugged my bass in to the Bass Driver, dialed in an SVT-like setting, and ran the 1/4" output into one channel of my soundcard. Then I ran the unaffected 1/4" output to my ART Dual MP and then into the other channel of my compressor (I'm pretty new at bass and still need it to level things out) and then into the other channel of the soundcard.

After I tracked it, I used a low shelf to reduce the SansAmp channel a few dB below about 125-150, so I got more of the upper octaves through this channel. Then I used the signal from the ART as my direct signal and did the opposite, using a high shelf to reduce the signal a few dB above about 150-200 Hz. I was going for more punch in the low end while keeping the upper end of the bass a little more natural., which is why I compressed the unaffected channel and left the affected channel alone.

It seemed to work. Here's a scratch track of the song if you want to check it out. Just ignore the playing mistakes, we'll re-record it with keeper tracks soon. :D
    Joyride - The G&O Project.