Need suggestions for silent practice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bluebyrd50, Oct 5, 2017.

1. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Ampeg SCR-DI for me, with Sony MDR-7506 headphones, and a music source (mp3 or whatever) plugged into the SCR-DI.

It works perfectly and provides that Ampeg tone!

2. Love_Bass

Love_Bass

Sep 5, 2012
    Zoom b1on

fttfbass, BurnOut and Snowwhite999 like this.
  3. DavC

DavC

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    having tried many things .... i have found this to be the easiest to work with , ... all in 1 , plug/play ... !!

i found a used one for about $50 .. !!

Product: GB-10 | TASCAM

4. I love the Vox Amplug, been using it for over two years as my practice method and don't feel I need anything else. Does what you need, has an aux in so you can plug in and play along with MP3, laptop, cd, record player, etc and adjust your bass and music volumes separately. Super small and light and easy to travel with as well.

Totally worth $40!

https://www.amazon.com/AP2BS-amPlug-Bass-Guitar-Headphone/dp/B00NAUKJTY

5. Ampeg SCR-DI, Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones (use them for studio work too). Ampeg tone (the Scrambler, while slammed by some, isn't too bad a replicating a tone similar to a full on SVT). Great for practicing and not waking anyone up!

6. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Zoom B3 hooked up via usb to your computer. For some reason, Zoom did not put a mini stereo aux in on this unit, or it would be perfect.

Aside from that small complaint, it’s a great unit.

Before, I used a small Yamaha mixer with cd, tape deck, drum machine and my bass through headphones. Add a mike and you can practice singing too.

7. groovaholic

groovaholic The louder the better. Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Mount Prospect, IL
    I use a Mackie 402VLZ; easy to play along with a metronome app, or my iPod, and even record the results on my laptop if I want.

johnpbass, Aaron Mc and shodan like this.
  8. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    @bluebyrd50 : had the same situation when I needed to practice and/or learn new material when children or wifey were sleeping.

Behringer V-Amp 3(the guitar version). Had the bass version but this version lets one control things(specifically the reverb and compressor) better. Lets one plug in bass and an AUX in(computer, mp3 player, cell phone) to play along if learning/practicing songs.

PS: a few of the guitar distortions, chorus, and other effects in this unit sound GREAT on bass.
    https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-V-AMP3-BEHRINGER-V-AMP-3/dp/B002BXLZ7Q

Here's early 2000's when I used the bass V-Amp version at home(old Koss Radio Shack phones)
    HomePractice.jpg

Here's semi-recent lunch practice in the cubicle at work with the better guitar version, V-Amp 3(good SONY phones). The headphone output can also be plugged into the Altec Lansing 2:1 system that lives in my cubicle. A vice president walked by one day at lunch when it was audible and said "The bass sounds so good, what is that?". Told him I'm acoustically spoiled so basses, processors, and speakers HAVE to sound amazing.
    DeskPractice.jpg

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    BurnOut likes this.
  9. I use my amp, a GKMB115, with a connection to my computer with iTunes and a set of headphones. I can play all day and no one will hear. :thumbsup:

10. FantasticFour

FantasticFour

Dec 14, 2013
    Europeland
    Hasn't anybody mentionned the Phil Jones Bighead yet?
    I bought it after reading suggestions here on TB and couldn't be happier.

11. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Inactive Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    A ton of choices. What's one more...

20170904_194809_resized_zpsw1o686dr.jpg

Moonshine :bassist:

johnpbass and SLO Surfer like this.
  12. Indeed. I had one of those too by Tascam. Could be used with headphones and the bass volume, speed or pitch could also be adjusted.

floridagatorfan likes this.
  13. twelvetrombones

twelvetrombones Martian Ambassador Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Portland, OR
    randini likes this.
  14. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    smartphone/tablet + app + iRig + headphones.

I've used (in the past): iPhone + Pocket GK amp sim app + iRig + headphones; the GK app allowed me dial in a bass tone AND mix in music from my device.

Currently, my silent practice rig is MOTU 828mkIII into CueMix on an iMac, running iTunes in the background.

15. randini likes this.
  16. floridagatorfan likes this.
  17. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I use an Ampeg SCR/DI with a pair of Sony MDR-V6 headphones. Totally killer combination. But there are several preamps and mini amps that have a headphone out jack that will work equally well. In a pinch you can also use the headphone monitor jack on one of those inexpensive computer recording interfaces like a Scarlett 2i2 or similar.

SactoBass likes this.
  18. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    johnpbass likes this.
  19. jaysbass2002

jaysbass2002 Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Northern New York
    Palmer Pocket Amp Bass

The best practice tool I have found thus far. Great sound and tons of routing options. Aux in, Headphones out. Very good sound. 11475271_800.jpg

20. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    My TC RH450 has Aux in for MP3, Cd ... and
    headphone output and excellent sound.
    My Tascam BT trainer has a built in metronome, tuner, stores 250 tunes,
    pitch shift, sound effects and fits in my pocket.

floridagatorfan likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021