1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need suggestions for silent practice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bluebyrd50, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Find a used Raven Labs PHA-1.

2. +1! You keep rehearsal songs on it, play your bass through it and can slow things down with out changing the pitch for learning tough passages. That and a set of earbuds fits easily into your bass case making for a quick an easy rehearsal option with very little set up. My favorite hotel room practice system.

3. I use an Avalon u5 in my gigging rig. IMG_3301.JPG When my gear is at home it lives in the garage IMG_3322.JPG when I want to practice at home I just run headphones off of the Avalon. It has a headphone out. IMG_3583.JPG Super flexable rig in my opinion. I can do headphones or 1 cab or two cabs.

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    I pretty much never use an amp to practice. Just pick up my bass and play

5. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Relax, sit down, close your eyes and USE YOUR IMAGINATION. Seriously! Trains the same neurons as physically playing...

6. madmaskbass

madmaskbass

Apr 29, 2008
    Australia
    Honestly I am selling my practice amp now after investing in a high quality silent bass rig...I have always been very particular in getting a very high quality tone and I think that good tone makes playing/practing bass much much more enjoyable.

I use the Phil Jones BigHead with a high end set of AKG's that is part of my pedalboard..The Big head can also be used as a DI either backup or main and it can also be an interface..but the big thing is that it is incredibly high quality even without the pedals...then I just plug my phone with music, tabs etc and away you go..

This stuff is not cheap...at all actually but the applications available, quality and hopefully longevity will make it worth the expense. I plugged my very decent practice amp in the other day and I just couldn't get it to sound anywhere near as good and I know that when I build my stage rig one day it will be designed to emulate the tone I can achieve with the BigHead..that's how good it is!!

7. cactus1

cactus1

Oct 6, 2009
    Ft Myers
    Zoom B1on. 100 effects/presets, 68 drum patterns, simple looper, aux in.... It is a very nice (silent or otherwise) practice tool for only $50.

fttfbass likes this.
  8. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Either an amp with a headphones jack or use a multi FX with one, I sometimes like to DI my bass amp through my FX chain and use phones with the multi FX at the end. Works great for some extra oomph/ volume in the phones though you have to be careful not to set it too loud.

9. I love my TASCAM Bass Trainer.

My neighbours do not have any clue that I play bass every day in my apartment.

10. Interceptor

Interceptor

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    ART ProChannel II into a Mackie 1202 together with a Marantz CD player made for radio stations and a Marantz solid state recorder into Sony 7506 headphones. Lots of flexibility, plus occasionally I'll plug a laptop loaded with ProTools in for songs I'm collaborating on that have been drop boxed.

I've got 13-14 years of daily practice on the Mackie and the Marantz stuff. The ART got moved into the practice area when I redid my stage rig and it didn't sell fast enough. The ART has enough handles on it that I can ape my Ampeg well enough. Before the ART, I used a Cinemag DI for years and years.

A decent channel strip and a small mixer into headphones is a wonderful long term solution.

shodan likes this.
  11. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    What I use

12. I've used various things over the years: from a Sony Walkman with rehearsal (cassette) tapes (yes, wore out the buttons), to a Yamaha QY 20 sequencer, an Ibanez Rock and Play, headphone jack and aux-in on a practice amp and a Behringer Xenyx 502 mixer. All cheap and disposable, but did the job.

Now I use the Vox amPlug 2 Bass Headphone Amp. It has an aux-in plug for a CD player or other device. I plug in my iPhone and use the iRealPro app to play over chord changes or rehearsal recordings. Cheap and easy.

randini likes this.
  13. shodan

shodan

Mar 23, 2005
    Central Midwest
    Plus 2 for a small mixer. I use a Mackie 1202VLZ, inputs from my computer to the mixer, and a small DI box. I found the quality of my Lakland missing when I plugged it directly into the mixer. Adding the DI box improved this quite a bit. Adding a mic patch cable to make use of the balanced out on the DI made it even better. Better tone by far.
    DI Mini Pedal - Monoprice.com
    IMG_0266.JPG

johnpbass likes this.
  14. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    This is it right here. I use mine a lot.

PJB BIGHEAD

danclaro likes this.
  15. danclaro

danclaro Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Princeton, NJ
    I got a Cafe Walter HA-1A headphone practice amplifier a few years ago and I love it. It’s supposed to not add any EQ or coloration to your sound. Just your bass. It’s great. I wish he would make a version with a DI out.
    HA-1A Headphone Practice Amplifier | Cafe Walter Audio

16. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

I use an old Tascam CD Bass Trainer. It sits in one of the tape loops of my Nakamichi pre-amp in my rehearsal system. My computer is the source so all the Tascam unit does is drive the headphones. I just leave the power amp off.

17. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm a fan of the HoTone Thunderbass as well. Good for headphone practice and doubles as a mini practice rig with any speaker you want (can handle down to a 4ohm load).

A.JPG

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 12, 2021