1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need suggestions for Ultra burly 12" replacement Speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mandobass, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Mandobass

Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Hi guys - been awhile since I've been on here, but the other day I blew a speaker in my Glockenklang 2x12 and am considering options for replacement/repair.

Style: Punk rock (New York Dolls, Sonics, etc)
    Amp: Currently Sansamp RBI -> Hartke 3500. Will likely upgrade to a 2-300 watt tube head once I can afford it.
    Bass: Rickenbacker 4003 with flat wounds

I'm not sure why or how I blew the speaker because the cab is rated for 500 or 800 watts RMS iirc.

Anyways, I need 12" bass speaker that can take a lot of abuse and not rip to shreds. Or should I consider reconing? I feel like if I do recone, I'll just blow the speaker out again.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. joeyjoejoe

joeyjoejoe

Apr 12, 2010
    i've had good luck with eminence deltas.
    i was changing an old v4 into a bass cab and these were suggested by bruce at fliptops.net.

3. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Banned

Mar 29, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    Glock cabs use Volt speakers from the UK, and while I have no idea what's so special about them, I would ask one of the guys at Glockenklang about possible replacements or re-coning.
    I also recommend Eminence speakers (Basslites and Kappas are excellent, depending on the output you're looking for), but I would be concerned about the difference in sound between the two drivers.
    Eminence has a detailed spec sheet for every speaker they make on their website. If you go in that direction, I would study the options and choose the best one that matches the output/resistance profile of the cab.

4. MrRumble

MrRumble

Aug 8, 2006
    Plymouth, MN
    Eminence Delta LF

5. Mandobass

Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. I took out the problematic driver and it appears to be an Eminence Delta... which kind of sucks because I was looking for a Delta as a replacement.

I bought this Glock cab secondhand so perhaps the original owner replaced the Volt speakers.

There's no signs of tears in the cone but at even moderate volumes I was hearing that speaker *flap* sound that makes me cringe, so it must be toast, right?