Need suggestions on a combo amp, looking at Bassman 60/100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aerolithe, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Aerolithe

Jan 23, 2005
    Columbia, MO
    I got a bass on Christmas and I need an amp. I've been using my dad's guitar amp with the bass and volume turned down but I'd like go get myself a decent amp and not worry about damaging the speaker. I have $100 cash, can sell my guitar amp for maybe another $100, and can probably get between $50 and $100 from my parents if necessary, so my price range is $200-$300.

The amps I've been looking at are the Bassman 60 ($200) and 100 ($250) on Musicians Friend. I know 100 watts is pretty big for someone who's just starting out, but because its only $50 more than the 60 watt version I don't mind getting the extra cash for something thats going to last longer and has some extra features. My biggest concern with the 60 is I've seen some reviews saying that the grill and cabinet buzz a lot and that it easily distorts, I haven't had a chance to try one out myself yet. Theres a Bassman 100 at a music store near my house and it seemed fine, but I'd like to hear more from people who own it.

Finally, if anyone has any other suggestions for something between 50 and 100 watts in my price range I'd like to hear them.
  2. LittleJaco

Nov 4, 2004
    I was in your shoes a few months ago. Both bassmans are great buys, but they can be REALLY heavy to lug around if you start gigging. My solution (not really) to the problem was to buy a fender rumble 100. Those are very loud and as good (and cheaper) than the bassmans but its as heavy. You should choose the 60 bassman for a lighter approach but if you have muscles and you like to crush guitarists into little treble cleffy pulp go for the 100. :hyper:
  3. What do you have, four or five strings on your bass? If you have four strings, the Bassman 60 (12-inch across speaker) will sound fine (I haven't had any experience with the Rumble series), but if you have five strings, the Bassman 100 (15-inch across speaker) will handle the low B string better. However, both are very good amps; but beware the Bassman 100 is 64 lbs. BTW, if you choose a Bassman, buy it fast, 'cause Fender is not making the same Bassman amps anymore, they remodeled the Bassman line of amps. However, the Rumble line remains unchanged. Hope you like whatever you get. :)

Davis Goertzen
  4. Aerolithe

Jan 23, 2005
    Columbia, MO
    Since I just started I play a four string, but I'd like to move on to a five string pretty soon, maybe near the end of the year, and moving it around isn't something I'm worried about.

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions and the heads up on it being discontinued.
  5. I used to have the Bassman 100 and it would fart out pretty bad when I started to push it (and that was when I only had to compete w/ a 15w guitarist!). I'd get no smaller then the Bassman 200 if I were you. A better idea would be hitting up eBay or the Talkbass classifieds fora used Ampeg B100R, Yorkville XM200, or Peavey TNT115.
  6. glnflwrs

Jan 25, 2005
    Hesperia, CA
    I just bought a Fender Rumble, 100w 1-15 and it sounds great. No vibration or buzz, the controls stay true to the pickups, and for just 100w I've already received three complimentary complaints from neighbors.

Hey, I lived here first. Right?

I ordered it from Amer Mus Supply, got a three payment deal, and free shipping. $297.00 total.
  7. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I agree with the used Peavey TNT (or even TKO) idea. Even better if you get to find one of those with the old green stripe and old Peavey logo. IMHO, no comparison possible with one of those in loudness, sound and reliability!