Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need suggestions on a good mid-priced bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zerodown1432, Mar 4, 2005.

1. zerodown1432

zerodown1432

Aug 28, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    After having played for the last six months or so on a $150 Yamaha with a slightly warped neck (given to me free by a friend), I finally have enough money to make a significant upgrade. With $500-700 to blow (probably closer to $500), what basses would you recommend looking into? I've been messing around at GC for the last couple days, and I could probably afford a Mexican-made Fender or something, though I'm not sure if that is the best direction to take.

What do you guys think?

I listen to (and would like to be able to play) a wide variety of music, by the way. Everything from Eric Clapton and Yes to Rush to Rancid to the Chili Peppers.

Thanks for the help.

2. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Carvin, you may have to go used tho for 500 but you could end up getting a wicked 5 er or a 4banger with the cash left in your pocket. The SPector Legend series is great too. This has been done many times if u do a search you'll find tons of info...but ultimately the answer is used Carvin ;)

3. RiddimKing

RiddimKing

Dec 29, 2004
    I'd look around for a used MIA P-bass. There are plenty on the market, and you can get a clean one for between 625 and 700. Try a bunch of them until you find one that you like...they vary a lot in terms of weight, tone, neck feel, etc.

4. Look at the G&L L 2000 Tributes.Great basses for the money or a Lakland 4401,also very good for the money,either one is a versitile good playing pro bass.I also agree that a used Carvin or used American made Fender are nice too.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Play as many as you can before you decide.

I would look at the Fender Jazz Geddy Lee, the Ibanez SRX500, the MTD Kingston, the G&L Tribute L2000, and the Lakland 44-01. All killer basses, right in your price range.

I have a Geddy Lee Jazz and a Lakland 55-01(the 44-01 in a five string version) and they get as much playing time as my $2500+ basses.