1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need suggestions on a new rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Xyg, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Xyg

Xyg

Apr 17, 2009
    PDX
    I've decided that it's time to buy my first "serious" setup, and I'm overwhelmed with the amount of choices and opinions I've come across...

Here are my criteria:

I currently own a late 90's American made 4 string Peavey Cirrus. The amp that I've been using at rehersal is *not* adequate for what I'm hoping to do. So here goes:

I'm hoping to keep everything ≤ $1000.

I'm not sure if I should go with separates (I've looked at the Genz-Benz shuttle 6.0 and used cabs) or a higher end combo (I've looked at the Eden Nemesis RS410). Or if I should go the used route entirely - though I'm a bit nervous to spend upwards of a $1000 on equipment I'm not familiar with. Is 300 watts and a 4x10 cabinet sufficient, or is it overkill? Am I shooting myself in the foot by going with a combo unit?

I'm hoping for something versatile that I can play everything from funk to jazz to heavy metal with, and something that is ideally scalable long term. I’m Looking for something that I can use for small to medium sized venues. Currently I’m playing (and planning to gig with) a heavier project. And something that is on the easier side of the spectrum to transport.

As far as buying from new shops, should I expect them to let me trial the equipment if I give them a full security deposit? And if you have any suggestions on shops in the Portland, Ore area, I would appreciate that as well.

2. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Hi

You might consider this for under a grand for all new stuff.

Hartke LH500 - $399.95 Zzounds online
    Avatar B410 NEO - $487.00 direct from Avatar

www.avatarspeakers.com

That puts you at $886.95 far under you $1000.00 limit and you get a 500 watt amp and a 410 with NEO drivers.

Another great head to run with that cab would be a GK 700RB-II at $599.00 that would get you a nice 480 watts of GK growl for about a $100.00 over your limit of a grand.

Don't limit yourself to only new stuff. There are almost always good deals on Craigslist and you can see the stuff first.

Good luck.

Keep Low :bassist:

3. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Versatile-modular-easy to transport....to me that means a pair of 210s and a head. If you want to be able to get silly loud, consider a head that goes to 2 Ohms and getting a 410 and a 210. 410s will not be "easy" to transport unless they're compared to 810s. Buying used is fine IME/IMO if you stick to the TB classifieds with folks with good feedback. Definitely check out Avatar and Dr Bass cabs as sold cheap (new) on ebay, as well as Carvin. The BX1200 head is easily the best deal out there IMO-stadium power, features and reliability for 550 new! Start with that and a 210 and you'll be able to conquer all :) Carvin cabs are also amazing value.

4. Xyg

Xyg

Apr 17, 2009
    PDX
    Thanks for the tips, guys. I'm not sure how I feel about buying those kinds of things without hearing them first... do those companies have fairly liberal return policies?

5. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Any of the online retailers such as Zzounds, Musicians friend, music 123, ect. should have no hassle return policies. Carvin does too. You will have to keep all packing materials and probably pay return shipping but you will be able to return it. Not so practical if it's a speaker cab though.

Guitar Center and Sam Ash are almost always no hassle returns. I say "almost" because if it's a "clearance" item they might not want to take it back. They will let you bring in your bass and / or amp to try any stuff they have in stock. So that's good.

As far as Avater speakers, just shoot an email over to Dave and check with him. I know that special colors and tolex are "not" returnable.

Keep Low :bassist:

6. Xyg

Xyg

Apr 17, 2009
    PDX
    Okay guys, I've decided. I nabbed an Eden Nemesis RS410 combo and a Korg floor tuner. I'll follow up with my impressions in another thread!

7. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    Spend a little more and buy an acoustic B600 and matching 810 cab. Around $1600 sounds good and the whole thing is cheaper than a good head by itself. BOB

8. Xyg

Xyg

Apr 17, 2009
    PDX
    Unfortunately the finances don't allow that. Thanks for the suggestion though...!

9. lorenk

lorenk

Apr 8, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    congrats on the buy :)

im curious to hear how you like the head.

I just got a used mesa 400+ from apple music row and am quite pleased with them, if you decide to buy again (not sure if you will need to though....that thing looks gnarly! :D)

10. Xyg

Xyg

Apr 17, 2009
    PDX
    Congrats on the Mesa.

I was just in Apple today - great guys. I ended up buying the Eden from Showcase. Apple didn't have any 4x10 combos in stock, and I needed something for this weekend.

I'll keep you posted on the new rig - tomorrow is its first rehersal.