Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need suggestions on a single cab solution

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Larry Kaye, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Need some suggestions on a single cab solution....here's some parameters:

I play mostly 5 string but recently have purchased a nice 4 PJ passive Lull bass to go along with my 2 5 string Lull's.
    I have plenty of power...500 watts at 8 and 800 at 4 ohms...would definitely prefer a 4 ohm cab.
    I don't get PA support most of the time. The band that I'm running through the PA is very loud...my stage volume is fairly "high".

I would want something that has at least 100+ spl level.
    I would want something that has a reasonable and stated low end response down to 40hz or slightly under.
    I would want something that has a capacity of at least 500 or more watts.
    I want something with an adjustable tweeter.
    I want something that's fairly balanced...SLIGHTLY scooped mids is not an issue.

Now here are the kickers:

Under $700 delivered
    60ish pounds or less.

I don't feel a "tradtional" 2x10 cab will do it....it's not loud enough. The only ones so far to fit this bill are Schroeder 1210 1212 and the GK Neo 212.

Any others?

2. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    i haven't heard the 1012 or the 1212 but the 21012 rules. it's pretty light too but it is a shade out of your price range. i might save up the extra cash and go for the bigger cab since with a 4 ohm minimum you wont have room for another cab. and get the castors, they make transport a breeze. that cab will handle out door gigs by itself. you and your band mates will hear the bass like never before.

3. Dr. bass, Either the birchline or Rx series 212.
    Take one and call me in the morning!

you can see the specs and prices at www.drbasscabs.com

p.s. the Schroeder 1212 and 1210 are absolutely fine cabs if you can get either for the price you want (sorry Jorg didn't mean to exclude your great cabs!!) :p

4. Go with the GK Neo212. Loud, clean, smooth sounding cab. Handles my low B with ease.

5. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    is the bag end you're recommending a 210 or 410? If a 210, is it "Loud" enough to carry an 8 piece horn band or a loud 5 piece Classic Rock band with 2 guitars and keyboards?
    LK

6. klorence

klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I play regularly w/a 9-piece band (3 horns) and use a bergantino 2x10. loud, clean, perfect for the gig.
    i also have a dr. bass birchline 2x12, that, for half the money, sounds pretty great as well. both cabs handle the low end fine...

7. davepack

davepack Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Accugroove El Whappo

8. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm not comparing the tone of these cabinets, but one swr goliath jr 210 was not nearly enough volume for me....I don't think that it's efficiency is that much if any "less" than the bergie, but I could obviously be wrong. Understood that they have "interesting" sounding tweeter also vs the Bergie that has a much more musical sounding one.

How much streetprice are the Bergie and /or epi UL's goiin' for nowadays? What about the Bag End 210/deep version? Here's the deal.....I can get a GK Neo 212 for around $550 delivered new. It's about 12-15 pounds less than an Epifani NYC 212 and a little heavier than a UL212, but those puppies are almost double the price. Having owned the original shaped epi 212 and feeling that it was the best stand alone cabinet I've ever owned, I feel if there was a lighter version of that, it might sway me more.

The Doc Bass Birch cab with 2 12's looks interesting too. I'm also going to speak to Don at LDS about making a 212 or 410 cab that might meet my needs for a more "reasonable" price than getting the "name brand."

To the Accugroove Freaks....they're too expensive for me. I wish they weren't because I've nothing but great things about 'em. I also couldn't self roadie an El Whappo if I wanted to, + they're absolutely not a cheap date.

Keep those cards and letters coming....How much does the Bergie 210 weigh in at? Anyone?

L

9. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Two of these maybe? --> Click Me

Seem to have good reviews thus far, a great price point, high volume and handle lots of watts... Just ordered mine today! :hyper:

10. klorence

klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Bergie's 64 lbs.

I also used to own an SWR goliath jr., an eden 210T, and an 2x10 XLT.

2x10 XLT was loudest these three; but in retrospect & volume (and weight!) aside, the swr & 210T 'sounded' a little better - not sure why. just more pleasing, i think, than the brashness of the XLT. but they didn't get as loud, and I tired of taking both of them (which was one of my favorite setups).

I've not tried the epi's etc. (or any other 2x12 cabs other than the Dr.B) - the XLT would be my 2nd choice after the berg for "best 2x10/best standalone".

the Bergie seems as loud to me as XLT, but goes deeper-sounding, and yes, a more pleasant crossover/tweeter.

i hear great things about the berg 322, but 93 lbs is just too heavy for regular gigging.

i'm probably just getting too old.

fwiw, the Dr.B Birchline 2x12 honestly packs a good bang for the buck. I'd prefer a different name, but I guess you can always pull off the sticker. it's lighter than my berg 2x10, handles the low B stuff very well, and gets pretty loud. tweeter/crossover not as nice as the berg, obviously, about half the price...

11. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    SWR Triad?

ANDRUCA

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Larry, I have read in some other posts that the sound of the GK neo cabs may be a good bit different from the sound of the Epifani UL series, so keep that in mind. Having some idea of what you like from our prior discussions, I would think that you would be happiest with either an Epi T-212UL (if you can swing the price), or a custom cab from Don.

Regardless, I am interested to hear what you end up with.

Tom.

13. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    How about in Bankruptcy court? For right now, I'm "investigating" one cabinet solutions. To pay $1200 to get something that's not any easier to schlepp around than LDS's 208's that aren't an absolute MAJOR step up in the tone booty and volume range is not making any sense. What did you hear about the tone/volume of the GK. Any knowledge of the Dr Bass cabs? He's now making a three way 212, 4 ohms, 1000 watt capacity, 67 pounds...for under $550.00

Right now, the LDS's are the best bet for me....keep 'em, work with the new Lull basses to get 'em sounding as good as I can, and, if anything, look into switching to Neo 8's if they prove to be the right move....cheapest and lightest alternative at this time. The Dr Bass 212 two way cab is 51 pounds in Neo form for around $475.00. Ya gotta love it...it goes down to 34 hz and is 104spl. Yeah...we don't know the roll off +- stuff. It comes down to how it sounds to my ears and how it feels to my back and wallet, ya know?

L

14. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I have an eden 212 xlt and love it but it does not meet your weight requirements. I asure you that with the wheels this is a very manageable cabinet. Even the gig handles are placed at the center of gravity for the cab.

danman

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Larry:

I do own two cabs from Marc Serio (Dr. Bass), a 2x10 and a 1x15. Both were custom made "experimental" cabs, and both are loaded with neo drivers. I am very happy with them, and with Marc. He is currently making some mods to them that I suggested.

Tom.

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The Eden 212XLT is one of my favorite Eden cabs (the other being the T-210XST). It is one of the most articulate Eden cabs, IMHO, and is very full sounding.

17. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Have to admit, that GK 212 Neo looks VERY tempting. Would love to hear some comparisons to other note-worthy cabs like Bergies, Epi's etc.

If the GK 212 Neo handles the B stringwell, sounds good, and is 60 lbs-ish and has wheels? WOW! That makes it a very back-friendly/gig-rig.

I've been using a Bergie HT322 and the wheels are what make it all work for me. I only schlep it in and out of my SUV, and usually with the help of a band-mate! From there, I roll it everywhere and use it to roll in my Amp rack and bass rig rack. So it saves me from carrying two other 30-40 lb racks. Cool. If the GK can do the same, sounds good and weighs only 64 lbs, then it's even better!

18. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Based on my not having heard the very intriguing LDS cabs, I'd second the Schroeder 1210 recommendation -- great cab for live band music.

19. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    but the GK also goes for $550 delivered to US location. Even if it's only "close" to boutique, flat repsonse sound, 64 pounds, higher SPL, reasonable low end response, and $550 new delivered? That's pretty tempting right there, yes?

Same for the 3 way regular speaker and 2-way Neo Dr Bass Cabs. The Schroeder's 1210 and 1212 are also....+they weigh in at 46 and 47 pounds, cost about $680 delivered, go down to 40 hz, have 102 and 103 spl, handle more wattage than you can shake a stick at and are 4 ohmers.

There are definitely some choices here. I end up at most of my gigs with absolutely no help bringing the stuff into or outta the venues. I had a great Epifani 212 cab that weighed a little under 80 pounds and casters, and bottom line, wheels don't carry it up 3 steps to a landing, 6 steps to a loading dock, or up or down a flight of stairs at a restaurant where there's no elevator. EVen with casters, sticking another 60-80 pounds of rack stuff + junk bag? on top and you're pushing around 150-160 pounds which isn't very cool, wheels or not.

So the 51 pound Neo Dr Bass cab and the mid/hi 40 lb. Schroeder's right now have even a more significant edge not having to look at their price point being less than other boutique NEo's. I would say that the GK is third, but unless it offers significantly better tone than what I currently have, there's really no advantage...actually it's slightly heavier.

My two LDS cabs together weigh just over 60 pounds total, 700 watt capacity, can handle the B string just fine, produce significant low end and cost me about $675 with delivery for the two of 'em. I'm also running the cabs at 2 ohms...1200 watts, so even if they're not quite as efficient as the ones above, it doesn't really matter that much. I brought up the need for the single cab solution to be efficient because at 8 or 4 ohms, my head is not nearly as beefy.

L