1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need suggestions on flatwound strings for my Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by de la mocha, Nov 2, 2006.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    I tried fender flats before and had mixed feelings They were too muddy but I'm willing to work with them. I tried chromes and I love them but were a little bright for flatwound strings but before I try them again I wanna know if what I'm missing.

Basically, I'm looking for the Brown eye girl, voodoo child (slight return), In the gadda la vida kind of sound. That deep, bassy classic rock rumble, but distinct to recognize every note, nothing muddy.

Any suggestions or should I stick with chromes or try fender again?

2. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    TI Flats. Not as bright 'n clanky as Chromes, super sweet cutting but warm midrange, and no mud whatsoever.

I had a set on a Lakland Glaub I had a while back, and it was P-bass heaven.

3. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    Friend and Endorsee of Larry
    try a set of Fender nylon tape-wounds....... waaaaaay fun!

:bassist:

4. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Have you tried closing the tone knob, to cut the highs. I do that when I solo the P pup on my PJ. Great thump, and I'm using Chromes!

5. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    My main axe is a fretless '71 P-bass. I used to use tape-wounds; they gave me a big, thick, R&B bottom end, but didn't allow me to achieve the clear, woody, harmonically-rich tone I was looking for when playing jazz.

Since I switched to Thomastic Infeld JazzFlats I've been very satisfied; a slight tweak of the tone controls on my B-1500 gives me exactly the tone the situation demands, irrespective of genre.

Good luck finding "Your Sound."

6. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    I put TI's on my 64 and am on my 2nd honeymoon with her. I can't wait for gigs where I get to play it.

7. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    The LaBella 760FL set.

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    TI flats- nice, balanced, mids, low tension

GHS- Similar to TI, a little more tension.

Roto-77- Good treble bite, for flats. bright.

I like all the above, but my fav. are TI-flats, for a P-bass.

9. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Well, I went to Sam Ash and they only had Chromes, light gauge, so now that's what I have on my p bass. Got a nice low end thump and clear, clean highs. The notes are distinguishable and clear, not muddy.

It's been a while since I used these strings, I was a roto sound convert. I'm actually glad I got these. Now I can continue with my Billy Cox impersonation........:p

10. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    I'm never going back to roundwounds! Flats forever!!!!!!

11. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Each bass is different. I have Chromes on some basses, LaBella Black Tape wounds on another, TI Flats on another and my Zon sounds great with Ken Smith Slicks. Sometimes it just takes a little experimenting to find the ones that sound great with your bass.

12. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I love the sound of Rotosound tape wounds. But we practice in a very electrically noisy basement (the house doesn't have proper grounding). With metal strings, touching the strings cuts the hum, but that doesn't work with the tape wounds.

I use Chromes (the orange set) for rock for a brighter tone. I used LaBella 760FL on my main gigging bass. When the other P doesn't have the tape wounds, it has LaBella 760FS.

13. I must have said that a hundred times!!! I do love my TI flats!

14. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    Friend and Endorsee of Larry
    Getting ready to put some Roto RS77LD Monel Flats on!!

hmmm..... me thinks Roto has got me suckered in :help:

15. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    +1. Compared to the flats I have now, all the other rounds I've tried (inluding DRs) Just havn't had the right "stuff"...

16. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I recently tried the Sadowsky flats and I really like them. The TIs are interesting but are a different sort of unique string. To me the Sadowskys are a a little like the Labellas but better, a little brighter and in familiar gauges .045-.105. They are more "old school" than TIs which I prefer on my P bass.

17. The only flats I have tried are rotosound... and i hated them, they just sounded hollow and lifeless, no bottom end or midrange punch

18. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota
    I broke my gstring lastnight..:eek: And this morning I decided to go with a set of flats, the Fender 9050ML 50-100 gauge..the tech noticed that the intonation was way off so he adjusted the truss rod it took him a couple times but now everything is in tune. he also adjusted the action I am excited about these flats, they are very smooth to the touch.:bassist: this was done on my Fender Jbass

19. mobax

mobax

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    LaBella.

20. gingerbeer

gingerbeer

Jan 9, 2005
    i use the labella 760 M (jamerson set) on my Pbass you can go close with fender 9050 M or ernie ball group 1 flatwounds .perfect for oldschool tone .