Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need suggestions on running an Avalon vt737 for recording electric bass

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by gfab333, Jul 17, 2004.

1. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'm going into the studio this afternoon and was interested in trying the Avalon vt737 (I noticed they have one in the rack).

Would anyone be able to share some quick tips on settings? For the work that I do, I would be going for anything ranging from a Hi Fi style R & B funk tone to a warm dark old school 1960s tone. Today I'm going for old school. Maybe it's like running an Eden head at a live gig? leave everything flat and let the tube do some magic (LOL!!!)?

Thanks in advance.

:scowl: :confused:

2. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Well, I never received any responses to this thread and I've been in and out of the studio already, so I thought that I'd post my first impressions.

The Avalon vt737 worked very nicely for the recent session that I did. It's a nice preamp with an EQ section that's very similar to many bass amps - shelved bass and treble controls and two bands of sweepable "mids". it also has a compressor which has a common sense layout. since we were going for a darker vintage 1960s bass tone, I used my P Bass with flats. The vt737's EQ was set flat, and it looked like the engineer used some of the vt737's compression. Upon listening to playback I think we achieved what we set out for... a warm, dark, smooth, deep, bass tone. The tube-style tonality was also evident in my recorded tracks.

It's a very nice piece of hardware but definitely out of my price range at a MSRP of $2,400+, or so. The engineer said he got a new one at a street price of $1,900, and a used one for 1,500, which needed some work.

When I searched this forum, I noticed a few comments from some TBers who reported that this unit functions very well in the studio, but may not be good for live applications. I go back in for another session next weekend, and will possibly post further info here.

for info....

http://www.avalondesign.com/vt737sp.html

3. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Glad it worked out. Often the best person to adjust the settings, etc. is the engineer. they will be familiar with getting good usable sounds out of their own equipment. I think bass players go into the studio and get hung up on "make me sound like so and so". (I've done it) But just letting the engineer do the job you are paying him to do frees him up to get the best bass sound to come out of you,

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, I read that too. I think if you handle it appropriately, you won't have any problems. I gig through my U5 fairly often, and haven't had a problem with it. I can't imagine that the 737 is any more fragile, except that it has a tube in it. So do my Eden amps, and they don't break. I wouldn't worry about gigging the 737, unless you let the house apes handle it.